Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * Januray 20, 2004 * NUTS!!!!! < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

David Zucker (67.74.56.58)
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 11:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anyone know pros or cons of crushed almonds in the brew? I'm thinking of throwing in a bunch with my next brew...

Fredrik (62.20.8.148)
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 12:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

> I'm thinking of throwing in a bunch with my next brew...

Almonds contains oil. Perhaps it may reduce the head?

/Fredrik

Wykowski (209.222.26.27)
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 12:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know not of almond-brew,,,but some use nut extracts, like hazelnut (i don't care for it myself)

that would be the way to go, It seems to me crushed nuts would do more harm than good

Brandon Dachel (63.238.222.190)
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 12:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pro - It's different
Con - Nuts are loaded with oils. Head retention will be poor at best
Con - You probably won't extract too much flavor.

Use extract.

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 02:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Use almond extract. I suppose you could make your own by grinding almonds and soaking them in vodka, then pouring off the thin layer of oil that settles on the top. My own inclination is that it's easier to buy extract.

Ernie G. Tolentino (209.86.5.98)
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 02:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How about throwing the crushed almonds into the boil?

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 02:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would use almond extract at bottling/kegging, Ernie. Almond flavor and aroma are rather subtle and most of it would be driven off in the boil. Also I'm not sure all of the oil would be skimmed off, which could diminish heading.

Vance Barnes (69.15.38.210)
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 05:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why not just prime with Amarretta? Don't know the quantity required but I know I've read threads here where people have used liquors to prime with. Plus you get a little extra ETOH from the liquor. Course the extract would be a little cheaper.

Nathi (165.127.8.254)
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 08:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Had a toasted almond mead once, toasted almonds added to the secondary, it was great. Would not want to boil the toasted almonds I think, you would lose to much character.

Go for it.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.