Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * January 26, 2004 * Bottle cleaning brush nirvana??? < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

ELK (67.164.195.57)
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 07:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm cleaning some bottles today and now I remember why I keg..I am kegging 7.5 gals of each batch and putting 2.5 gal in bottles. I haven't found a good cleaning brush yet... Evenflow makes this great one for baby bottles but is to short even for 12 oz bottles. It has a scrubie on the end and has a zig zag in the handle so you can just rotate it around.. If it was long enough to do 22 oz bottles and a little easier to get in to bottles it would be perfect..
How do you clean your bottles? I soak mine in oxy clean and then scrub and rinse then dishwasher sanitize or I will use starsan today because the dishwasher left some scum on last time.

Dave Aronoff (141.214.17.5)
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 07:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I clean mine with strong bleach solution; rinse and shelf. Then on bottling day I rinse (with the sink-adapted bottle washer) and dip in a star-san solution. This works well. I worry about the residue with oxy clean, but I guess good rinsing will do away with that.

Dave

Denny Conn (140.211.82.4)
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 08:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dave, Oxiclean doesn't require any more rinsing than bleach does, maybe less. There isn't any residue if you use the correct amount.

PalerThanAle (65.168.73.62)
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 09:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Once I started using Oxyclean, I throw out my bottle and carboy brushes. Rinse, spray with SaniClean, and fill with beer.

PTA

chumley (199.92.192.126)
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 09:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After drinking a bottle of homebrew, I rinse it three times or so until it is clean. Then on bottling day, I simply load the dishwasher up and run it without any detergent. I bottle after the temps cool down. I have never had an infection doing it this way. I have never used a brush on a bottle, only use a brush to get rid of the caked on crud in the primary fermentor after a couple of days soaking in a bleach solution.

ELK (67.164.195.57)
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 01:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wont start another thread for this question because I think enough folks will stop by this one..

Is it ok to fill up a carboy with 130 degree F. tap water? It says on the bottom not to bump or heat? Maybe they mean direct heat..Just cleaned those badboys.

Also I usually only put maybe 2 gal in with 1/2 scoop oxyclean and then you my brush and shake around..PTA if you dont use your brush what do you do fill it all the way up?

Belly Buster Bob (131.137.245.200)
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 02:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm lazy...I fillem leavem rinsem

Rob F (69.140.125.226)
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 02:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've never owned a brush. I always rinse after pouring, jetblast, put in weak bleach solution, jetblast, then use. Never a problem.

Streb (67.101.142.3)
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 02:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

> Is it ok to fill up a carboy with 130 degree F. tap water? It says on the bottom not to bump or heat? Maybe they mean direct heat..Just cleaned those badboys.

ELK, it is ok to put hot water in glass. The only time you will have a problem is when the temperature of the glass changes very rapidly which could cause it to crack or shatter. As long as you gradually raise the glass temps, it will be fine.

Cheers!

chumley (65.102.123.6)
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 04:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The only carboy I have ever broke was back in my newbie days in 1991 (yes, I was once as stupid and ignorant as all you guys who ask questions like putting pot and peanut butter in beer). I brewed a partial extract batch, filled a glass carboy with 3 gallons of cold water, then tried to pour 2 gallons of hot (180-200°F) concentrated wort into it via a funnel.. Surprise, surprise, it broke and spewed 5 gallons of wort all over my kitchen floor. The wife was less than impressed.

Since then, only cold tap water or wort chilled below 80°F has been transferred into my glass carboys.

robert rulmyr (63.156.116.2)
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 11:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After drinking, a quick rinse with tapwater. Before bottling, Starsan in bottle for a minute or two. No Bottle Brushes!

PalerThanAle (65.168.73.62)
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 01:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ELK, I fill mine to almost completely full with hot tap water and put in 1 scoop. Let soak from anywhere between 2 hours and 3 weeks. Of course, if I let it go to the 3 week mark, I start all over.

PTA

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.