Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * January 29, 2004 * FG Too Low! < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Sassy (64.63.204.32)
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 07:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yep, too low!

First I'll admit, I am very much a newbie. Only brewed a couple of batches so far. Anyways...

I'm making a Scottish Export for a guy at work, and the FG went down to 1.0145. The problem is, the guy likes malty beers. I don't want to make a new batch, he's already getting antsy about his beer (he paid for the ingredients), and I was wondering if it is at all possible to boil up some more malt extract and add it now, to try to "sweeten" it up a bit, or is it likely to just ferment all the way out again? Here's the recipe, and some info, in case it helps to answer the question.

6 # Light DME
1 # Drk Brown Sugar
1 # Medium Crystal (60)
.5 # Chocolate
1.2 oz Willamette 5.1 AAU for 60min
White Labs Irish Ale Yeast

90 minute partial boil.

O.G. Not sure, my hydrometer broke =( Recipe shows it should have been ~ 1.0638

F.G. 1.0145 New hydrometer =)

Primary fermentation: 2 weeks
Secondary fermentation: 2 weeks

If the recipe is on target for the OG, that makes it 6.47% alcohol by volume, and it does NOT taste malty at all.

BTW, it has a dominant banana taste to it, which surprises me. Is that normal for this yeast?

Denny Conn (63.114.138.2)
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 07:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your FG isn't really all that low...you're at about 75% attenuation (BTW, how the heck do you get 4 decimal places from your hydrometer?) The sugar will certainly contribute to thin body and dryness, though. Contrary to what many people think, adding brown sugar doesn't sweeten a brew...in fact, it's just the opposite. I haven't use the WL Irish ale yeast, but I've given up on the WY Irish ale yeast due to excessive fruitiness. Is there some reason you didn't use a Scottish yeast?

Tacoma Brewers (67.170.64.39)
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 07:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wouldn't "boil up" more malt extract to add to it. As Bill as said a few times, blending beers (or adding water, etc.) to them, hardly ends up with a favorable result.

With 37pts per # of Lt DME, and 45pts for the brown sugar, I get an OG of 1.0534, not 1.0638 (assuming a 5 gallon batch).

I'm also assuming the Crystal and Chocolate were steeped, so there would be no extraction from those.

Not sure about the banana taste, I never got that flavor from using Irish Ale, though I haven't used it in awhile...

Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 07:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Double post...

Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 07:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Denny,

The hydrometer at work (redhook) has 4 decimal places...I've wondered myself where I could one. Haven't seen them anywhere.

Denny Conn (140.211.82.4)
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 07:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the hydrometere info, TB. I use 45 ppg for DME, as Promash does. Are you sure you're not thinking of LME?

Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 07:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You're right DC. I looked it up on the Recipator...liquid 37, dry 45.

What the heck is a recipator, anyway?!

Sassy (64.63.204.155)
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 11:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks guys.

I knew that the sugar wouldn't add sweetness, but would add alcohol content. For some reason, I thought this would be a good thing. Normally, I wouldn't be too concerned, except that this guy likes his malty beers.

Denny- I used the Irish Ale because the last time I used the Edinburgh, it came out too malty. I kept the temp down to between 60-65F in an ill-fated attempt to keep the attenuation down. Guess I shouldn't have changed. Especially 'cuz I just got back from my LHBS and was told that the yeast was probably mislabelled. This answer was so quick, that I'm getting the impression that someone else may have said something. Anyways, they think it may have been the Belgian yeast used for Chimay.

Also, while there, I was given the advice to steep ~1/4# of German Melanoidon and ~1/4# of Belgian Caramunich in 1 quart of water @ 160 for 30 min and add it to the batch to try to increase the maltiness. I know TB said no, but anybody else have any thoughts on this, other than it being out of style?

Sassy (64.63.204.155)
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 12:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also, I forgot to mention that I used this yeast cake on yet another brew, before realizing just how wrong everything was. Basically, it the same recipe as before, but everything was doubled with 2 oz. of Rauch malt thrown in. The OG for that one was 1.138 and the FG is right now at 1.026! Now that DOES seem too low for me for how high the original gravity was, the lower fermentation temps, and no rousing of the yeast during fermentation.

Walt Fischer (24.221.196.114)
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 02:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

1.138 to 1.026?!
Thats a 15.15% beer....
He wont like that....
Send it to me right away for testing..;>

Walt

Sassy (64.63.204.134)
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 05:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thought you might like that Walt! So tell me, how many years am I gonna have to let this stuff sit?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.