Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * January 29, 2004 * Low temp brewing < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

cheesehead (24.118.124.147)
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 11:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's -3 F degress outside here in Minnesota, maybe 20 in the garage. My water filter hose froze up from sitting on the garage floor so I had to bring it inside to thaw. Other than that things are looking good so far for my bier de garde.

What's the worst temp anyone else has brewed in? I bet chumley's got me beat.

Jim Layton (67.31.255.87)
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 12:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

>What's the worst temp anyone else has brewed in?

108F, and I don't expect any sympathy from the Great White North. A tip of the hat to those of you that brew outside in sub-zero weather. You have my respect.

Belly Buster Bob (142.177.112.37)
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 01:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

this sounds familiar

Tom Gardner (198.81.26.14)
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 04:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My lowest is probably 20F warmer than you. But I did learn to bring in the hose the night before ;)

chumley (65.102.120.204)
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 04:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

-20°F for me. I think Greg from Winnipeg has us all beat, only he reports his temperature in Celsius, so we can only speculate. :)

I brewed this past Friday. The temperature has warmed up to the mid 30°s, which makes all the difference in the world for me, as I can run a garden hose with the wort chiller outside next to the propane dinner. When its colder than that, I have to carry my 7.5 gallon steel brew kettle containing 5.5 gallons of near boiling hot wort down the basement stairs to the laundary room to run the wort chiller. That truly sucks. When it gets below 0°F, though, I can leave it out overnight and the wort temperature will drop sufficiently to where I don't need the chiller.

Paul Hayslett (64.252.40.222)
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 06:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

> What's the worst temp anyone else has brewed in?

-5F and windy at night
97F and 96% relative humidity with no breeze

Gotta love New England ;-)

Brandon Dachel (216.177.117.110)
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 11:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mine is probably exactly the same as Paul's. Gotta love the great lakes!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.