Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * February 18, 2004 * Conical Fermenter < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Eric Lord (209.234.86.3)
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 02:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just recently purchased a 15 gal conical fermenter. (which I love) I am curious in which yeast to collect. I had read somewhere that you shouldn't collect the first yeast that drops? If this is true, how much of the first group do you throw away? I collected some yeast yesterday, threw away the first quart, saved the second quart, and drained another quart or so until it was coming out somewhat clear. Does this seem like a good practice? I can't find any info on this topic, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Eric

Doug J (67.73.165.138)
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 03:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It sounds like you are doing pretty well. For collecting yeast I would do just as you are doing. You should also 'burp' the tank every 3 days or so, meaning drain the dropped yeast out until it starts to clear.

Eric Lord (209.234.86.3)
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 06:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you mean after you already dump the original yeast bed, burp it then every three days?

Doug J (67.73.165.138)
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 06:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is exactly what I mean.

Bill Pierce (24.141.129.137)
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 02:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Many commercial breweries discard the first yeast drained from the conical, which contains more protein and break material, and then harvest the subsequent yeast for repitiching.

Eric Lord (209.234.86.3)
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 02:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there a way to know how much yeast to discard? I brew 10gal batches. And do you wait until fermentation stops before draining the first yeast? Also, when dry hopping, how long do you leave the hops in the wort before burping the yeast out?

Eric

Ginger Larson (66.242.169.26)
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 02:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Eric - We've had our conical for a couple of years, and my yeast dumping schedule is like this:
After 2-3 days of fermentation, when the bubbling in the airlock starts to slow down, I dump about 1 cup of yeast - I figure that the healthy yeast is still in suspension, so I'm dumping trub and dead yeast cells. I keep this up for two or three days, dumping about a cup each time.
When fermentation stops, I harvest the yeast by dumping it into a sanitized mason jar. I may do another yeast dump during the conditioning phase, just to help clear the beer. You could save this yeast too, but I don't.
Can't help with the dry hopping, as we usually don't.

Eric Lord (209.234.86.3)
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 03:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ginger,
Are you ever afraid if you dump too much yeast, the beer won't ferment completeley? And, just out of couriousity, how many times do you re-use yeast? And have you ever had a problem with the yeast creating co2 in your mason jar? I have read about people having bottle bombs. I have some yeast in a mason jar right now, and I vent of the pressure every few days. Also, what's the longest you have stored yeast in the mason jar? I have heard 4-6wks is about all you can store it?

Joseph Listan (66.192.83.65)
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2004 - 06:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Burp the jars? Madness!

Yeast will stop fermenting when the pressure gets too great or the temperature (ales) falls too low. So, once you have yer yeast and you cap it and put it in the fridge, it should not build too much pressure.

I would bet that one-year-old yeast would have a few viable cells, but you'd need a starter. You should not have any problems with direct pitching if it is less than three months old, though it might be 24 hours to start up at that age.

If you want longer storage, make slants or plates.

Ginger Larson (66.242.169.82)
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 02:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Eric - I wait to harvest the yeast until fermentation activity stops. Even then, there's still yeast in suspension. When I do that last dump before draining the fermenter, there's usually a cup or more of yeast.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.