Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * March 02, 2004 * Yellow thermometer < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Tacoma Brewers (67.170.64.39)
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2004 - 11:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought one of those yellow thermometers months ago, and it has worked pretty well for me, until now. Yesterday it was reading my boiling water at 270F, and reads room temp around 150F. It's warm in my house, but, not that warm! I changed the battery, but it didn't help.

It did it once before a few days ago, and I just turned it off. Few days later, turned it back on and it worked fine. I'm guessing it was going at that time, now it's just gone.

Has any one else had similar problems? Any secret trick to fixing it? Thanks!

Belly Buster Bob (131.137.245.197)
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2004 - 11:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

classic signs of damaged thermocouple wire. Had an indoor/outdoor therm. do the same, found the wires broken where it exits the house. Spliced them and all is fine, I figured a splice would sway the readings but it seems accurate

Bill Pierce (24.141.129.137)
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 12:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Most of the inexpensive digital thermometers use a thermistor in the probe rather than a thermocouple. Bob is correct that the problem may be a crimped wire, but it requires a properly soldered splice not to affect the readings.

Lennart Persson (216.165.226.121)
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 07:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Same thing happened to me yesterday on one of my two yellow thermometer. I bought 2 after destroying two of my wifes electronic meat thermometers by dipping them too deep into wort. The thermo sensor sucked in wort and they started to show 100 degrees too high.

The yellow thermometers are relatively spalsh proof, but the metall pipe where the sensor wire enters the thermometer is probably not well enough sealed, so if the thermometer hangs upside down, wort will enter the thermometer and give incorrect readings. It might recover untill there is too much inside. Mine recovered today, but I will be more carefull now since the thermometer is very nice. I tape the sensor to the carboy to check temp on the carboy instead of the surrounding air

Jake Virnig (130.76.32.21)
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 08:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I killed the wife's meat thermometer by using it in my mash tun, the sensor got wet and the readings were way off. I got another one, now when I put it in the MLT I push it through an old salsa container so it floats. Also thinking of wrapping the end where the wire enters with teflon tape or shrink tubing.

Jake

Joe Sandlin (66.207.81.26)
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 12:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jake, I always look at my posts to see what the first line will look like in the list of discussions..

"I killed the wife's meat" is one that I would have rephrased.... :)

Jake Virnig (130.76.32.145)
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 12:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah, that really is something I ought to look at huh?

Jake

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.