Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * March 16, 2004 * Secondary Fermentation < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Kelly Ladner (66.25.189.231)
Posted on Sunday, March 07, 2004 - 04:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I brewed a porter @ 1.065 OG and fermented for 7 days. I racked to a secondary for an additional 14 days. The temperature was fairly constant for the entire fermentation period @ 72. On the 12th day of the secondary I noticed a semi-vigorous fermentation that seemed to come out of nowhere. Three days later the bubbles are pretty constant @ 8 seconds apart. I used Muntons dry ale yeast. I have never seen this happen and I would like some help!!!

Dave Witt (172.129.203.95)
Posted on Sunday, March 07, 2004 - 05:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kelly,

I would taste the beer to rule out infection and also get a gravity. After almost 3 weeks into fermentaton, it should be done. What was the gravity going into the secondary?

Kelly Ladner (66.25.189.231)
Posted on Sunday, March 07, 2004 - 07:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David,

The gravity going into the secondary was 1.020. The beer tastes fine and the current gravity is 1.016. Although the gravity is a little high why would it take 12 days to start the semi-vigorous fermentation?

Thank you for your help!!

Kelly

Andrew Pearce (68.225.195.30)
Posted on Sunday, March 07, 2004 - 02:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kelly,
I'd give it another week in the fermenter and then check for a stable terminal gravity. Then bottle or keg. Sounds like you are getting close to the your TG if not already there. Maybe it's C02 coming out of solution that is still causing the bubbling.
As for why it did the stop/start ferment thing-- I have no idea. Yeast behave predictably and unpredictably at the same time.

Richard Nye (24.34.142.13)
Posted on Monday, March 08, 2004 - 01:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kelly,
I used to have that happen sometime. I could never explain why the brew would get a second wind. I wrote it off to temperature change, or whatever. At the time I would sometimes get slightly lower attenuation than I wanted. Since then I began building up 2 quart starters from slants, cooling for 1-10 days at 35F, decanting the liquid and pitching the yeast. I've also oxygenated for 2 minutes with a stone, began using yeast nutrients, and controlled the fermentation temp with a freezer and a thermowell that goes into the fermenting wort. Now I get good starts and complete ferments.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.