Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * March 30, 2004 * Unboiled wort in fridge < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Chad Dickinson (12.216.50.42)
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 10:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have 10 gallons of American light ale in the conical primary right now. 10 gallons of Oatmeal/dry stout in secondary. A 5 gallon batch of DC's RYEPA in secondary right now. And a 5 gallon batch of 1.086 Alcoholics Extra Strong bitter in primary too. (We were gonna do a 10 gallon batch of ESB, but my bud forgot his brewpot, so we had to do 5 gallons instead)

We batch sparge, and so when we hit volume on the ESB, we decided to go ahead and run another charge on the ESB grain, as the final runnings were still 1.056. So, now we have another batch of 1.032 wort. I suppose we'll make a lighter brown ale out of it. That is pre-boil by the way. So, I have this unboiled batch of wort in my fridge, just waiting for a fermenter to open up. My question is, how long can I store it this way before it needs to be boiled?

Thanks!

Chad Dickinson (12.216.50.42)
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 01:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

bump

PalerThanAle (65.168.73.62)
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 01:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If it were in my frige, it would have been infected by now.

PTA

Vance Barnes (69.15.38.210)
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 02:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not long I'd think. All those sugars just waiting to be gobbled up by something. I have a friend that freezes his wort between mashing and boiling. Couple of weeks between sometimes. Nothing can eat those sugars at those temps.

Bill Pierce (24.141.129.137)
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 02:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In a sanitized, sealed container (a corny keg, for example) the wort might keep for a month. Refrigerators are notorious environments for bacteria and molds; what retards spoilage is the low temperature.

Chad Dickinson (207.206.223.25)
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 03:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm... Maybe I'll go ahead and freeze it then, if its not too late. I assumed that I could store it in the freezer, then just boil when needed, and that that would kill off any bad bacteria. I'm sure I'm missing something... Where is the flaw in my theory?

BTW- I have it being stored in a 6 gallon sealed plastic bucket.

PalerThanAle (65.168.73.62)
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 03:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sure you will kill off the bad bacteria, but I'm not sure you would be able to get rid of the off flavors they *could* have already caused. I'm sure you're fine. I was just pointing out the fact that in my frige (yeah, I spelled it wrong again) it would probably have some yogurt dropped into it or at least a couple legos.

PTA

Bill Pierce (24.141.129.137)
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 03:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chad, what you are missing is that the wort is full of sugars and a rich feast for any number of bacteria. The low temperature in the refrigerator will certainly inhibit them, but not for an extended period of time. By the time the wort is boiled some of the damage (including souring) may already be done.

I have kept wort in sealed mason jars in the refrigerator for three weeks and used it for priming (the German word is speise) the beer at bottling. There was no perceptible sourness at that time. However, I would be reluctant to keep the wort much longer than that.

Chad Dickinson (207.206.223.44)
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 06:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks all, you've talked me into boiling and pitching very soon.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.