Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * April 3, 2004 * Does anyone have a drawing / blue print for a grain mill. What about you BBB? < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Kevin Davis (64.136.26.235)
Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 12:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have the equipment available to me necessary to build my own grain mill, including stainless round stock and a knurling attachment for a lathe, so I was going to make the rollers then build a body to fit them. But, why reinvent the wheel? If no one has a set of plans or a sketch, could you post some more detailed picture of your mill BBB? The one on your web site doesn't show any detail. Thanks.
Kevin

Belly Buster Bob (142.177.10.56)
Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 12:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kevin, I'll see if the buddy who made it for me has drawings if not, even better than my pics is the Barley Crussher web page. That's where my design came from.
http://www.barleycrusher.com/wp%20bc%203.JPG

Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 12:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks BBB, I could not tell by the picture how the adjustment works, can anyone describe it? I have a few ideas of my own but like I said why reinvent the wheel. Thanks again.
Kevin

Mark Hansche (208.171.32.206)
Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 01:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The adjustment is an eccentric bushing, hole off center. Rotate the bushing, change the gap.

Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 01:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wondered if that was how they had done it, that was the only way I could see from the picture it could have been done. I will have to start look ing in McMaster-Carr or Granger for a set of eccentric bushings, or blanks that can be bored. How does the adjustment on the Phil Mill II work?
Kevin

Skotrat (24.61.120.214)
Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 02:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Now,

Please check out Cowan's Mill.

BEERBARIAN MALT MILL

Thanks

C'ya!

-Scott

ELK (24.10.168.30)
Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 03:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It seems to me that having just .05 adjustment in the eccentrics would be ok. Seems like alot of work to save $100.

Belly Buster Bob (131.137.245.198)
Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 04:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

mine is fixed gap at .040 works great for everything I've used so far

Kevin Davis (64.136.27.229)
Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 11:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Scott this is perfect. Yes, ELK it probably is a lot of work for $100, but like your homebrew, maybe it's a matter of pride,
Kevin

Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 11:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think the Philmill II has a spring loaded roller to prevent damage to the rollers, does anyone think that is necessary? I am thinking I may build it with a fixed gap like BBB, at least for now, I can always add the eccentric bearing / bushing later if necessary.
Kevin

Marlon Lang (65.0.102.240)
Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 02:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kevin,
My Malt Mill is about 10 years old. The knurling in the middle 3 inches is noticably worn because this is where most of the grinding is done. But, there are also several "dings" where "things" went through. So, some give has to be designed into the rollers. If you plan to harden the knurling after machining, then I would recommend some sort of spring loading. If you leave the rollers "soft", then I wouldn't worry. Like my buddy BBB, I opine that a fixed gap works fine.

Belly Buster Bob (131.137.245.198)
Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 03:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

just for interst Marlon....what "things"???? Body parts??

Mike Huss (24.123.94.154)
Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 01:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No BBB, you are confused! The body parts go in the wood chipper!

Marlon Lang (65.0.101.122)
Posted on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 01:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BBB, Small pieces of metal I think. Probably parts of the harvester tines that made it through to the malting floor. Perhaps BBs from the air rifle the malter's sons use to shoot at mice? Nuts and bolts from the bagging machine? Are you at work?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.