Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * April 13, 2004 * Experiment-ale < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

pLaYsKooL (24.208.82.132)
Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 11:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My SG came down to a whoping 1.124 after a five and a half hour boil on Sunday in a five gallon batch. I racked directly onto the yeast from a previous brew (Wyeast 1728). I thought this would shock them, as the previous brew was closer to 5%, but the next day it blew the airlock off the fermenter. It still bubbles away happily in my fermentation fridge at about 60 deg.

My goal is to hit somewhere between 15-20% ABV, and here is the plan. I have a vial of WLP099 en route to my house. I was originally going to add several pounds of adjunct to the boil to bring the gravity up even more, but then I read the instructions for reaching super high G on WL's website. They reccomend starting low and working to high over the period of a week or so with additions of concentrate and heavy aeration.

I want to add the WLP099 to what ever remains after the 1728 has been knocked out and then, over the next week, take small amounts of my adjuncts, boil them for 15 min., and add them to the fermenter with O2.

A very beer intuitive friend of mine says that he thinks this is going to give me off flavors (addition of O2 after full blown alcoholic fermentation). So here I stand before the beer making public to ask your opinion.

Has anyone used this yeast with good results? Is there flaw in the methods I have proposed? What would you do?

pLaYsKooL (129.93.32.93)
Posted on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 04:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've added adjuncts to meads after primary fermentation had begun, but I know that oxidation isn't as much of a concern with meads. Will this affect my beer?

Fredrik (213.114.44.219)
Posted on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 04:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I haven't tried but I would look for another method. It sounds risky to me? If it is already going now, maybe many packs of dry champagne yeast later on if needed to finish is safer?

/Fredrik

pLaYsKooL (129.93.32.93)
Posted on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 05:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What about making a starter of the wlp099 using some of my adjuncts and slowly increasing the alcohol content by further concentrated adjunct additions until I've used them up. Then I could mix the higher alcohol wlp099 adjunct brew into my original primary.

Doug Pescatore (141.232.1.10)
Posted on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 05:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dude! you started with 1.124 and a 5 hour boil. Don't go messing that up. It should be a mighty tasty brew by itself. If you want you can do a shot with every glass of what should be a good tasting barelywine sort of thing.

-Doug

Denny Conn (140.211.82.4)
Posted on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 05:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do not aeate when you make the additions...just put them in the fermenter. And be sure to let us know what happens...I've yet to hear of good results with WLP099, so it'd be interesting to hear if it works for you.

Posted on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 07:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm really looking for that winey taste in this one, although this batch has given me a good idea for a barley wine.

Should I remove the beer from the wyeast before I introduce the WLP? I'm thinking this is going to be a long ferment and I'm not too sure about having all that yeast sitting down there.

Has anyone added honey to a secondary?

Denny Conn (140.211.82.4)
Posted on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 07:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"I'm really looking for that winey taste in this one"...maybe try champagne yeast.

"Should I remove the beer from the wyeast before I introduce the WLP? "...I'd probably rack to secondary, then introduce the 2nd yeast.

"Has anyone added honey to a secondary?"...yes.

Posted on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 08:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I'll give the WLP a try and see if I can get the % alcohol up by making adjunct additions. If that doesn't work, I'll use a champagne yeast.

Do you pasturize the honey before you add it or dump it straight in? Is infection much of a concern at these high alcohol levels?

PalerThanAle (65.168.73.62)
Posted on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 08:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

<Is infection much of a concern at these high alcohol levels?

Only if you pass out and cut yourself and don't get it treated right away.

for the honey - I don't think it will make much difference either way. I would heat it up with some water until it is ... um... unthick. Then cool to pitching temp.

PTA

Brewzz (65.88.98.1)
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 01:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You might try using dry distillers yeast after the WPL poops out...Just a thought.
Brewzz

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.