Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * April 13, 2004 * Wild Fermentation! < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Leland Dunn (66.125.225.146)
Posted on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 10:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I brewed an ESB last week using Wyeast 1098 London. I decided to dump another 5 gallon batch of ESB (OG 1.053) onto the yeast cake yesterday. The fermentation took off within an hour (68 degrees constantly) and was violently fermenting by about 2 hours. I had never before witnessed such a crazy fermentation. I had to put a blow-off tube on the carboy as the foam was erupting like a bad science experiment on the second hour. What do you usually use for a blow-off tube? I just stuck a tube into the top of the airlock (taking out the little piece that floats in the airlock) then running that tube into a bucket of sanitizer. Unfortunately the tube got somewhat clogged and I had to put on another airlock piece on so it wouldn't blow up in my closet. Would limiting the amount of CO2 that can escape slow down or halt the fermentation? It has only been 20 hours since I dumped the batch on there and the bubbling has slowed down considerably. I have never witnessed such a fast fermentation. Now there is about an inch and a half of yeast settled to the bottom of the carboy looking like it is 75% done (it usually looks like this about 3-4 days of fermentation). Anyway, just thought I'd share my wild fermentation story, brew on!

Jim Keaveney (64.12.116.24)
Posted on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 10:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Would limiting the amount of CO2 that can escape slow down or halt the fermentation? "

no, but it might cause something to explode.

chumley (216.161.219.66)
Posted on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 11:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Use a tube whose O.D. is the same as the I.D. of the carboy opening. Stick the other end of the tube into a sealed container if you want to recover the blown-out beer, or into a bucket of bleach solution (which is what I do).

Richard Shaffer (64.35.155.194)
Posted on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 11:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lelund, go get yourself a couple of 1" vinyl tubes. The size is perfect. The od of the tube is the same as the id of the neck of the carboy with enough friction to keep it tight. I always use a blow off tube into a gal. jar with a little water in it. After the ferment subsides I use a airlock. No problems. Richard.

Peter Roman (129.21.227.182)
Posted on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 11:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jim,
I thought that limiting the ammount of co2 excaping did hinder fermentation. I know if you ferment in a corny, and leave venting strickly up to the blow off valve, you will have a poor fermentation from all the built up pressure. Is this concept wrong?

Joseph Listan (66.192.83.65)
Posted on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 05:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peter, you aren't wrong, pressure will cause the yeast to go dormant.

However, this is not something you want to do to your yeast during primary fermentation. On the contrary, you want it as strong as it will get. Go get that 1" tubing, it is only a couple of bucks.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.