Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * April 13, 2004 * Carbonation Frustration < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Brian Garber (199.64.0.252)
Posted on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 05:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, first of all I know I should just force carb in the keg and fahgettaboudit. But, I'm stubborn. I've added 3/4C corn sugar boiled in 1 pint water for 5 minutes. I let the keg set at 65 - 68F for over a week and no bubbles. Should I give it more time or am I letting too much yeast settle out between the primary, then secondary?

Also, its a robust porter so I'm not looking for a lot of carbonation. I based my 3/4C on past natural carbonation failures with only 1/2C.

Thanks, Brian

davidw (199.239.30.126)
Posted on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 05:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you putting any pressure on the keg to seal the lid after priming it? I can't help but wonder if you're losing carbonation due to the lid of the keg not being sealed. I would expect to see some carbonation after a week. Even after racking from a secondary, unless we're talking many, many weeks in the secondary, you should have adequate yeast to carbonate.

JOHN K. LEE (206.66.239.111)
Posted on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 05:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Get over your stubborness and FAHGETTABOUTIT!
-J.K.L.

Brian Garber (199.64.0.252)
Posted on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 05:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, I put 10 lbs. on the keg, but then take the gas off. I'll periodically check the poppets for leaks (with water) and put the gas on, but my keg is pretty well sealed.

On this particular batch it spent one week in the primary and then six days in the secondary.

I'm stumped.

Belly Buster Bob (142.177.9.187)
Posted on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 07:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

there's tons of yeast still in there. Give it time. At 65-68 degrees it can take a while. Try warming to low 70's and see what happens, there is not enough fermentation taking place to cause off flavours.

chumley (216.161.219.66)
Posted on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 07:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've got a bottled ESB with WLP002 English Ale that has been sitting at 65-68 for three weeks, and is still flat. I agree with BBB, sometimes it just takes a long time. My 1.100 triple bock that was lagered for 6 months took about 3 months to carbonate (albeit at 50-55°F cellar temepratures).

Fritz Eubanks (131.167.48.221)
Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 02:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bottled a mild 6 weeks ago, and am just now seeing the carbonation that I would expect. It was fermented with Windsor, and conditioned at around 65 deg.

Fritz

Hedgie Bartol (65.1.175.236)
Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 06:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey guys,

My buddy and I had a similar problem. Once we warmed our respective brews to 70+ we wound up VERY happy. The temp has made a huge difference. Now I bring each batch up from my basement (62-65) at the end and all my problems are solved.

Hedgie

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.