Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * Archive through June 28, 2004 * Flat beer in keg < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Lennart Persson
Username: Lennart

Post Number: 43
Posted on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 11:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I filled my first keg with beer 10 days ago. Had it at 14 psi for a week but it was flat as tap water. I have had it at 38 psi now for 3 days, still flat! I know, just wait but I find it interesting how my beer can resist co2 like this. I have had the beer at 45 degrees and not been shaking it. I will just let it sit for another 2 weeks at above 30 psi and see what happens. It is a standard Dunkelweizen. I have 2 batches of high gravity beers in bottle that got good c02 faster than my keg. I did not add sugar to the keg, just co2 pressure. Has anyone else had beer that has refused to absorb co2?

Jared Cook
Intermediate Member
Username: Jared

Post Number: 304
Posted on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 11:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Something is wrong. Your beer should be completely carbed. Are you sure gas is getting into the keg? I would ask if you had leaks, but at 38 psi you'd hear any leaks and you would be out of gas if the leak was big enough to leave your beer completely flat.

Richard Nye
Username: Yeasty_boy

Post Number: 120
Posted on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 11:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you crack the pressure relief valve, does a lot of CO2 come out of the keg?

Mike Mayer
Username: Mmayer

Post Number: 212
Posted on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 01:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds to me like the gas is not making it into the keg. If it was making into the keg, and your beer is still flat after so many days, your C02 cylinder would be depleted very quickly and I think you would notice. Maybe there is something wrong with your regulator or the guages????? Just a thought.

Mike
Cleveland, OH

Joe Alf
Username: Joea

Post Number: 156
Posted on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 01:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've heard it takes about six minutes to carbonate a cold keg with the lay and rock method,sounds good anyway.Just set it on the ground roll it back and forth and you'll here the gas being absorbed/running thru the hose.

Lennart Persson

Post Number: 44
Posted on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 03:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have plenty of pressure when I pull relief valve, but I can not only from the PSSST judge if I have exactly 38 PSI
After a week it should be OK with anything above 14. Maybe I forgot the "CO2 rest" when I brewed. I will go down in the basement now and rock the keg and see if it changes anything. I have 5' of 3/8 tube which has worked perfect at 14 psi for other beers I have dispensed (non homebrew).

Lennart Persson

Post Number: 45
Posted on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 03:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, I did shake the keg that had been sitting flat at 38 psi for days now, and the regulator started to "sing" nicely. After all flat samples I probably only had 4.5 gallons left, so there was plenty of room for the beer to splash. The regulator kept making noice for probably 10 minutes. After that I pulled the relief valve to reduce the pressure (with my face 3" from the valve), and not only CO2 came out...
Well, I am drinking a carbed sample now and it is a lot better. I will let it rest until tomorrow at dispensing pressure and see how it turns out when I don't have 3/4 foam in the glass. It sure made a big difference to shake it for a while

Chumley
Username: Chumley

Post Number: 2031
Posted on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 04:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

>>After all flat samples I probably only had 4.5 gallons left

I suspect that your problem is that you filled the keg to its absolute brim, leaving no room for CO2 in the headspace. Without any headspace, it would take a very long time to carbonate, even at 38 psi, as there is no surface area to allow the CO2 to go into solution. Be sure to draw at least one pint off of a completely filled keg before carbonating. At least that was my experience when I tried 30 psi at 3 days for a completely filled keg, only to find it flat.