Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * Archive through August 18, 2004 * Hop Drying < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Chad Dickinson
Intermediate Member
Username: Icehouse

Post Number: 309
Posted on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 04:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How long in a food dehydrator to dry em out? 2 hours?

Is it normal for them to take on a "grassy" odor as they dry? I was smelling the air coming out of the dehydrator, and it smells kind of grassy. If I break a cone apart, it smells pretty much normal, just a little grassy. Maybe the grassyness(sp?) dissipates as they dry more. I know they aren't quite completely dry yet.

Don't know that it matters, but I'm drying out Cascades right now...

Thanks!

(Message edited by Icehouse on August 13, 2004)

Chad Dickinson
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 310
Posted on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 10:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bump!

Dave Witt
Intermediate Member
Username: Davew

Post Number: 454
Posted on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 09:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chad,

I've never dried my hops in a food dehydrator, but I do have an oast that I built. What you want to do is to dry them til the center "stick" or strig is brittle enough to break. If it's still flexible, then its not fully dry yet.

My oast (term for hop drier, I guess) is powered by a blow dryer that has a portion of the heating element no longer working. It only gets to about 110F. It takes about 18-24 hrs to dry the hops with this thing.

More info at Freshops:
http://www.freshops.com/gardening.html

Chad Dickinson
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 311
Posted on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 10:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Dave!

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 247
Posted on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 10:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The couple of times I dried homegrown hops I merely spread them on a window screen placed on a couple of sawhorses in the attic. It took about 48 hours.

aleman
Username: Aleman

Post Number: 103
Posted on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 11:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To answer your question yes it is normal when you are using a dehydrator to get those grassy odors.

I dry mine on the very top tray of the dehydrator with the temp set at 100 degrees. I let them sit for a couple of days in an open 5 gallon bucket to dissipate that grassy aroma.

Make sure you are not picking the hops too soon or you will get more of that grassyness. Let them get a nice paper dry feel before picking.

Chad Dickinson
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 312
Posted on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 11:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yah... I've been picking them every day... They feel nice and papery. I wait until they are just turning a very slight brown color on some of the bracts before I pick em. Doesn't take very long to dry em, so no big deal to do one batch a night of drying. Thanks!