Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * Archive through August 30, 2004 * Oxygen Tank < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Mike Mayer
Intermediate Member
Username: Mmayer

Post Number: 278
Posted on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 12:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got tired of shaking the crap out of my fermentors to aerate, so I just purchased an oxygen tank on E-bay for $20. It's a 210 Liter (at 2015 psi) tank. So, my question is, how many 10 gallon batches do you think I will get out of one tank??

Richard Nye
Username: Yeasty_boy

Post Number: 196
Posted on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 12:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A whole bunch! I use the Benzomatic (sp?) tanks and get 8-10. I've been thinking about getting a larger, high pressure tank. There just isn't enough pressure in those little tanks to get the O2 thru my sintered stone sometimes.

By the way, how are you planning to refill your tank? Did you get a welding tank or medical tank? Tell us more details.

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 315
Posted on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 01:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I believe the Bernzomatic disposable O2 cylinders contain 1.1 cubic foot of O2, which is 31.15 liters. They will oxygenate about ten 5 gallon batches of wort. Your 210 liter cylinder therefore would translate to 6.74 Bernzomatic cylinders or 67 batches.

Mike Mayer
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 279
Posted on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 01:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's a medical tank. Have no idea where to fill it yet, I didn't think it would be an issue....is it??

aleman
Username: Aleman

Post Number: 104
Posted on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 01:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Richard is much closer to being right, 8-10 batches.

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 316
Posted on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 01:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Medical O2 cylinders require a prescription in order to be refilled. You may be able to find an obliging physician who is sympathetic to homebrewing, or you may be able to persuade a gas supplier to exchange the medical cylinder for a welding cylinder (which will require a different regulator).

By the way, there is no practical difference in the three grades of O2 (welding, aviation and medical) other than the record-keeping requirements. It's not cost effective for gas producers to manufacture the O2 according to different standards, so it's really all the same gas. Pure O2 is a very inhospitable environment for microorganisms, so infection isn't a problem, and any oil in the cylinder would be a serious fire hazard, so that's not a problem either.

(Message edited by BillPierce on August 22, 2004)

Richard Nye
Username: Yeasty_boy

Post Number: 197
Posted on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 01:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was planning to go to my LWS (local welding shop) and talk to them about the most cost effective way to obtain/refill O2 cylinders. I've been resisting bidding on ebay until I do that.

Geoff Buschur
Username: Avmech

Post Number: 79
Posted on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 01:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If I remember from Airframe and Powerplant school aviation O2 is very very dry, and medical O2 has some moisture in it so it isn't as harsh on the patient.

Mike Mayer
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 280
Posted on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 01:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmmm...hadn't planned on needing a prescription. I guess I'll have to talk with the folks down at the welding store to see what my options are.

Wayne M
Username: Bigfun_wayne

Post Number: 151
Posted on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 03:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike:

Tell your shop exactly what you are doing with the O2 and ask them to label it as welding O2. You are NOT asking them to refill and label as medical 02. Offer to sign disclaimer on your receipt with that wording. Taking them off the hook might make exchanging tank and re-labeling it easier.

Let us know how it works out.

Mike Mayer
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 283
Posted on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 03:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Wayne, I'll try that first. If that doesn't work, well, I only paid $20 for this thing, and its brand new, still in a box, so maybe it will make for an easy trade for something a bit more used/less controlled.

Wayne M
Username: Bigfun_wayne

Post Number: 152
Posted on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 03:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike.

Does it have a regulator?

Wm John Ivey
Username: Fat_elvis

Post Number: 234
Posted on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 03:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike, One way to get it filled is make friends at the local firehouse, homebrew for filled tank. If you don't have a regulator, shop at used med supply store, the new regs goto 15 ltrs per minute and you only need one to goto 4, so old ones can be found.
John

Mike Mayer
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 284
Posted on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 07:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It comes with a regulator, up to 7 ltrs/minute I think. Hmmm, my neighbor is a fireman here in town, I guess I'll have to have a talk with him.