Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * Archive through September 09, 2004 * I would call this irresponsible use of alcohol < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

John McGrann
Username: Johnnymac

Post Number: 103
Posted on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 09:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is a horrible story. I'd say more, but it leaves me kinda' speechless. Except to say, what stupid, stupid people.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2004/08/30/national103 0EDT0526.DTL

Geoff Buschur
Username: Avmech

Post Number: 94
Posted on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 10:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This happened less then 20 miles from my house. The local story is that the passenger was leaning out of the car puking when the driver swerved a little too close to a telephone pole.

The crazy thing is that the bar has a doorman that won't let you in if you are already drunk and they offer a service where someone drives you home in your car if you request it.

A local talk show decided to have people call in and tell their best puking out of a car story.

Gives all new meaning to puking your brains out

Send hate mail to my overflow email addy: gbuschur at springmail dot com

(Message edited by avmech on August 30, 2004)

Joseph Listan
Username: Poonstab

Post Number: 155
Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 05:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think we have a winner for this year's Darwin Awards. Or do you have to do yourself in to win? I don't know the "rules".

Still feel bad for them, though, but a little more so for the passenger.

(Message edited by poonstab on August 31, 2004)

don price
Intermediate Member
Username: Donzoid

Post Number: 430
Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 10:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Better sue someone at the DOT for allowing such a dangerous object to remain that close to the travel lane.

Don

Vance Barnes
Advanced Member
Username: Vancebarnes

Post Number: 969
Posted on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 01:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The guy wire was 10 feet off the road. Makes you wonder how he got it back on the road. There's many places around here where the power poles are only 6" off the road. Good thing he wasn't driving through Roswell. That even makes me nervous sober.

don price
Intermediate Member
Username: Donzoid

Post Number: 432
Posted on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 10:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

GM and the DOT supposedly did tests years ago where folks were taken out to a test track, allowed to get hammered, and then allowed to drive. The basic conclusion was that if the vehicle (driver) strayed more 30 ft off the pavement they weren't coming back. So many highways are designed with ~30 ft of clear space to make them drunk friendly.

I'm not a transportation engineer nor did I stay at Holiday Inn Express last night.

Don