Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * Archive through September 09, 2004 * Yeast shipment in heat < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Steve Min
Username: Smin

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 07:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

Has anyone had any bad experiences with mail order yeast shipments in the summer when the temps are pushing 90F? I realize the yeast will be dormant and most likely will not be inactivated by 90-100F temps, but what about mutating or selective inactivation that might lead to off flavors in the final beer?

I will definitely make a big starter, but my main concern is the quality of the yeast when I get it.

Cheers,
Steve

Bob L.
Username: Bobcaat

Post Number: 61
Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 07:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I buy most of my ingrediants from Northern Brewer in MN and it is shipped to VA. I have never had a problem with the yeast, even in Summer. I don't bother with the little ice packs available as I guess they are melted within a few hours of shipping.

Hophead
Advanced Member
Username: Hophead

Post Number: 961
Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 07:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have ordered from online sources in the summer from phoenix with no problems, and I do get the ice pack, which is 'cool' when it arrives. These were white labs tubes...

There won't be any mutation, just less viability which makes a starter a great idea.

David Woods
Intermediate Member
Username: Beericon

Post Number: 376
Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 07:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Steve,

My order arrived late, (on brew day!) so the first thing I did was make a starter. 7 hours later there was NO activity!!! I pitched it anyway, then shot in some O2 for about a minute. I then had a 21 hour lag time which is something that has never happened to me in 8 years of brewing. It was WLP530 if that matters.

As for the taste, this just happened, and I will taste the beer when I move it over to secondary and will let you know. Belgians are supposed to taste funny anyway, but hopefully it taste good funny and not bad funny.

FYI the yeast was wrapped in bubble wrap and then an ice pack was added and then wrapped in bubble wrap again. The problem was that I ordered it on Monday night and it took till the following Monday to arrive. I will never order from this company again for yeast.

Good luck

David
Onslo: "Get me a beer!"
Daisy: "We're out of beer."
Onslo: "I can't believe it! I'm completely surrounded by NO BEER!"

Jim Smith
Username: Hey_newt

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 09:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try the polar ice packs next time. My orders from White Labs Are packed in an insulated box and have a polar pack in them. The pack is always still cold even after two days on a truck.

Ariel Baez
Username: Homebru358

Post Number: 49
Posted on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 03:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently ordered for the first time from More Beer in Cali. What I was not told is that because of wine season and short staff, orders were not going out within the usual 24-48 hours. I placed the order on a Monday, it didn't ship out until Thursday, so it didn't arrive until the following Monday!!

One of the items was a White Labs yeast and the ice bag was already warm, so I immediately put it in the fridge. Needless to say, a starter would have been ideal. But, being the moron that I am, upon preparing for brew day I totally forgot to make a starter!

I did my brew last night. Since I had no sufficient time to start the yeast I just dumped it in and let the aerator pump on for about 12 minutes. I also used an aerator tip on my siphon hose and poured the rest, which couldn't get siphoned, through a straining bag. Hopefully this was enough oxygen to help get the yeast going soon, considering the circumstances. I'll see how it's turning out tonight after work and update you guys on my progress!
If you're gonna' brew on - BREW HAPPY!!

BiggBrewer
Username: Biggbrewer

Post Number: 43
Posted on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 04:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had a tube of White Labs yeast get delayed during shipping from CA to NY by UPS during the summer. It took almost 2 weeks to arrive - I think it left early on week and arrived late the next. I made a starter and didn't get any activity.

After that, I started ordering yeast from the closest store I could find (no LHBS) and had them send it with the ice packs. This way it only took a few days and the yeast was cold when it arrived.

Joseph Listan
Username: Poonstab

Post Number: 164
Posted on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 04:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Reason #7 why you should start culturing.

Of course, it needs to be at least partially viable to begin with. Buy it in the winter, culture it, then never worry about it again.

Ariel Baez

Post Number: 52
Posted on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 01:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, update on my batch from Tuesday night:

As of last night there was no noticeable activity yet, which once again goes to prove the significance of starting yeast that's been shipped in warm weather!

So, just as David and BiggBrewer, I will no longer order yeast from CA to the East Coast in warm weather! Unfortunately, at the time I placed the order, this HBS was the only one that had the yeast I wanted (I should've been more patient!)

I'm just hoping that activity has picked up in my fermenter by the time I get home later!!

(Message edited by Homebru358 on September 02, 2004)

Paul Hayslett
Intermediate Member
Username: Paulhayslett

Post Number: 479
Posted on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 05:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ariel,

Order from the Grape and Granary in the future. Only one day on the truck from OH to NJ and they are real sticklers for only shipping early in the week.
The company of those who seek the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the company of those who think they've found it. -- Terry Pratchett

Ariel Baez

Post Number: 54
Posted on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 01:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Paul,

I'm with you already, buddy! I've been ordering from the Grape and Granary for a couple months now and they're awesome! One time they actually rushed an order through at 5:30 p.m. on a Wednesday because I mentioned I needed one of the items that Friday! Believe me, I wish they stocked the yeast I got from More Beer and I wouldn't have had this problem!

Oh, by the way - IT'S ALIVE!! As soon as I got home I immediately ran to the fermenter and, to my relief, I saw about an 1 1/2 inch layer of foam through the conical - and the sweet smell of young beer filled the air!!

Mike Mayer
Intermediate Member
Username: Mmayer

Post Number: 290
Posted on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 02:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Grape and Granary is a really cool store, I was just there today helping a freind purchase all the equipment he needed to get started in brewing. Thier service has always been great!

Mike
Cleveland, OH