Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * Archive through September 09, 2004 * Weyermann specialty malts < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Chumley
Username: Chumley

Post Number: 2192
Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 07:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After a long summer hiatus of only brewing 2-3 brews, I'm starting to plan my fall brewing schedule. One thing I would like to try is brewing a few alts and stickes in order to develop a house recipe. I really like alt, but after peaking in the 1990s with some outstanding alts made from DWC munich, I have been in a slump. :-(

So I am thinking about ordering some of the special Weyermann malts that I have never tried, like Cara Amber, Cara Red, Cara Munich I and II, etc. What are the opinions out there on these? I recall reading a Sticke recipe in Zymurgy that called for Cara Red, so I really have a hankering to try it. I'm looking to brew malty, toasty, bitter, and dry alts and stickes (staying away from sweet!), and also figure they would be good in dunkels, O'fests, bocks and the like come winter lager brewing season. Also, a supplier recommendation who carries the full line of Weyermann products, as B3 and Northern Brewer don't.

Tom Meier
Username: Brewdawg96

Post Number: 189
Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 08:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Weyermann grains are the awesome!

Carafa is similiar to chocolate but without a strong flavor. It gives a smooth roastiness without the dryness of roast or ashtray flavor of black patent

Caramunich is a melanoidin/crystal hybrid. Their carafoam is an excellent dextrin malt.

But the two best malts IMO are Munich Type II (darker of their munichs, and has a great flavor for altbiers), and their melanoidin malt, which can be thought of as a super munich or decoction simulator.

If you want an extremely malty and therefore tasty altbier go about 50% pils, 50% weyermann type II, plus 1 lb of melanoidin, plus 3-5 oz of carafa II dehusked for color. The maltiness will allow you to hit a high IBU and still have it balanced.

edit:
I would still give Durst 15L munich the nod for an altbier. if you use it leave out the melanoidin, its got plenty of flavor on its own

(Message edited by brewdawg96 on August 31, 2004)

Jeffery Swearengin
Intermediate Member
Username: Beertracker

Post Number: 400
Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 08:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I tried the Weyermann CaraRed for the first time last year in an Alt & now I won't be using anything else. So far, I've used it in a handful of styles including an American Amber, American Brown Ale, Bock, Dusseldorf Alt & an Oktoberfest. I've used the CaraMunich III, Carafa Special II & Melanoidin for years. Weyermann is just great stuff. It's simply hard to go wrong anyway you go! Have fun choosing.
CHEERS! Beertracker

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world." ~ Saint Arnold of Metz (580-640) - Patron Saint of Brewers

Denny Conn
Username: Denny

Post Number: 3404
Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 08:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another vote for CaraMunich III. I use it in place of crystal 60 in most recipes.
LIfe begins at 60...1.060, that is.

Dan Listermann
Intermediate Member
Username: Listermann

Post Number: 431
Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 08:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Weyermann Saurmalz is great for giving a stout the Guinness "tang."

Dan Listermann

Jim Smith
Username: Hey_newt

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 08:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chumley,

As far as where to get Weyerman malts the best place is your LHBS. If they don't carry them most can order it through Crosby and Baker Wholesalers. I'm sure once you ask for it your favorite shop owner will start carrying it for you

Chumley
Username: Chumley

Post Number: 2194
Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 09:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As I live in a town without a LHBS (nearest one is 90 miles away), I'm stuck ordering it off the 'net. Looks like I will be buying some Cara Red, Cara Munich III, Dark Munich, and Carafa. Also I will order some of their melanoidin malt. I have been using aromatic for years, so I will be worthwhile to try the Weyermann version. Thanks all.

Colby Enck
Username: Thecheese

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 12:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey, what's a Sticke? I've never heard of this.

I think Grape & Granary carries a lot of the Weyermann malts.

Hallertauer
Username: Hallertauer

Post Number: 211
Posted on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 01:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A 'Sticke' is a heavily hopped, somewhat higher alcohol (6 to 7%) alt.

Jeffery Swearengin
Intermediate Member
Username: Beertracker

Post Number: 401
Posted on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 03:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A 'Sticke Alt' is dry-hopped sometimes as well, which is a completely foreign German brewing technique.
CHEERS! Beertracker

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world." ~ Saint Arnold of Metz (580-640) - Patron Saint of Brewers

Hallertauer
Username: Hallertauer

Post Number: 212
Posted on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 08:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

**A 'Sticke Alt' is dry-hopped sometimes as well, which is a completely foreign German brewing technique.**

A friend of mine in Bamberg made a Sticke with all cascades. He dry hopped it as well. I was only vistiting him for the day using one of those cheapo slow German trains. After we were done exchanging home brews and drinking rauchbier I headed back on the same train with 3 bottles of his alt. There was nothing to drink on the train and the cascade sticke was all I had. So.........I popped them puppys open and drank the most fabulous warm hoppy alt I've ever tasted. Man did that ever hit the spot.

Denny Conn
Username: Denny

Post Number: 3432
Posted on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 06:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Full Sail (I believe) had a seasonal out last winter called "Comet" that was basically a high gravity alt hopped with Cascades...fantastic!
LIfe begins at 60...1.060, that is.