Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * Archive through September 09, 2004 * Carbonation < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Richard Rennison
Username: Rennison

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 12:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all,

I've been out of the brewing arena for a while and am finally back in the game!!! I've brewed a few batches (10 gallon all grain on my home made RIMS, soon to be HERMES). I think I've forgotten the secrets to effective force carbonation. I carbonated one batch, and the CO2 seems to be on top of flat beer (kegging system). I have been chilling the beer in the keg to ~38 degrees, then applying 40psi to the kegs for about 3 minutes while rocking. Apparantly this does not work well. Any suggestions???

Thanks,
Richard

Jared Cook
Intermediate Member
Username: Jared

Post Number: 403
Posted on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 01:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How full are the kegs? If there isn't enough head space, it will take a little longer. Also, 3 minutes may not be enough if you call rocking what I call rocking. I'm a bit more rough that what I would consider just rocking them. What you are doing should work, so may be be a little more vigorous with your rocking?

Paul Muth
Username: Pjmuth

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 03:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Figure out the volume of coČ that you want in your beer for the temperature you are using and set your regulator for that pressure. Connect your coČ to the keg, purge the head space several time and then put the whole shootin' match in the refrigerator with the gas ON. Leave it there for a week to a week and a half. Perfect carb every time!! Another trick - During the carbonation process, hook the coČ to a beverage disconnect and use that on the beverage out post during carbonation. You will cut several days off of the process. (Make sure you have a check valve on your regulator and don't forget to change the disconnects before serving.)

A carb chart can be found here.

PJ

Brandon Dachel
Username: Brandon

Post Number: 1189
Posted on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 01:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In addition to the advice about quick carbing, I've found that beers with higher final gravities take longer to carbonate than ones that finish lower.

David S.
Username: Dsundberg

Post Number: 136
Posted on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 02:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If I want to quick carb a keg, I lay the keg on a towel on the floor and roll it back and forth. I usually set the pressure to about 20 psi. If the CO2 connection is on the bottom, you can hear the gas bubble into the beer. When it won't take any more, you're done.

This works okay for a "quick beer", but I still think the carbonation gets better over time.

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 440
Posted on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 02:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There does seem to be some improvement in the
"quality" of the carbonation over time as the CO2 is more fully dissolved and diffused throughout the beer. Some people believe the bubbles themselves are smaller. This is true whether the beer is force carbonated or primed with sugar. In the case of force carbonaion, a diffusion stone will speed up the process, but after a couple of weeks it really doesn't make any difference.

Wykowski
Username: Bigearl

Post Number: 1132
Posted on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 03:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I put my kegs in the fridge on 30psi and just leave them for 24-48 hrs (testing in between)
You remember that foul evening when you heard the banshees howl
There was lousy drunken bastards singing 'Billy is in the bowl'
They took you up to midnight mass and left you in the lurch
So you dropped a button in the plate and spewed up in the church

Vance Barnes
Advanced Member
Username: Vancebarnes

Post Number: 977
Posted on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 03:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Something is not right. I carb my normal gravity beers @ 30psi and shaking back and forth for 2 minutes @ 40*. Then bleed the pressure off over the course of a couple of hours.

What can I say. I'm impatient and want a sample.

David S.
Username: Dsundberg

Post Number: 139
Posted on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 06:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with Bill. When I force carbonate and immediately consume the beer, it will have a head, but I won't see a continuous stream of bubbles coming from the bottom and sides. After a week or so, under pressure, at low temperature, the small bubbles will appear.

John
Username: Txwakeskater

Post Number: 166
Posted on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 04:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I force carbonate at 25-30psi and do the towel, roll on the floor method and then i leave it at the same pressure and put it in the fridge for 2-4 weeks. Is there anything wrong with this?

Richard Nye
Username: Yeasty_boy

Post Number: 230
Posted on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 10:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John,
I think your beers would be overcarbonated if you keep the CO2 at 25-30psi in the fridge for 2-4 weeks. Usually I carb at about 13-15psi and my fridge is at about 42F.

Follow Paul Muth's advice above. It will work everytime.

Hallertauer
Username: Hallertauer

Post Number: 213
Posted on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm paranoid about leaving my coČ tank on. I got burned already and lost my whole big tank to a leak. I use John's method but I unhook the coČ bottle when I'm done and just leave it under that same pressure in the fridge for a week. After a week, I'll bleed the excess pressure and serve.

tranquil_liza
Username: Tranquil_liza

Post Number: 144
Posted on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 09:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i'm sure the greater majority have lost a cylinder of co2. i did. i bought a back-up cylinder. i don't worry anymore.