Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * Archive through September 22, 2004 * Racetrack lid kegs < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Vance Barnes
Advanced Member
Username: Vancebarnes

Post Number: 996
Posted on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 06:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tacked this on to the end of another thread but didn't get any responses. Here goes again.

I just got some 3 gal cornies from Bev-Con that have "racetrack" lids and they have nylon (I think) pieces instead of rubber O rings around the beer and gas tubes (under the fittings). They are stained and I would like to replace them but have no idea where to find the parts. I don't think converting to O rings would work because of how the female part of the keg the tubes go into are made.

Belly Buster Bob
Username: Canman

Post Number: 1874
Posted on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 06:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would contact Bev-Con. normally they only sell standard stuff

Greg Beron
Username: Gberon

Post Number: 240
Posted on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 08:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good luck. I've had one of those for 4 years and have never been able to find the right size nylon bushing.

Geoff Buschur
Username: Avmech

Post Number: 120
Posted on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 08:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Vance, If you can't find one I'm sure you could make one.

Vance Barnes
Advanced Member

Post Number: 997
Posted on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 09:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well if I had a lathe or milling machine I might could make one. I haven't taken it down to my LHBS to see if there's anything in the catalogs that might match up. The racetrack lid (like a double D instead of an oval) uses a regular gasket. The tube setup is completely different from anything I've seen on a keg before though.

Geoff Buschur
Username: Avmech

Post Number: 121
Posted on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 11:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you say double D? Can you take a picture of it? I need to get a good visual.

Seriously, I am pretty good a fabricating stuff maybe with a picture and some dimensions I can come up with something.

robert rulmyr
Intermediate Member
Username: Wacobob

Post Number: 366
Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 12:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Soak them in water and see if any flavor/odor is present in the water. If not, I would use 'em.
My 2 cents.

WacoBob

Carl McCoy
Username: Ib4it

Post Number: 61
Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 01:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I second Wacobob's suggestion, soak them in water (BMC) ,if there is any taste whatsoever you will have to get new ones. If not you are good to go!

Pacman
Intermediate Member
Username: Pacman

Post Number: 401
Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 02:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I believe the double "D" he is talking about is the shape of the lid...

Racetrack

Oval

Here are the fittings from one of my 3g kegs...

I never could find anything to replace that crappy little plastic piece... in my 10g kegs that little extra metal fitting from the 3g keg (between the QD fittings and poppets) is plastic... i never could find anything to replace those either... i just soaked them in pbw and used them.. they work fine....
Damn Brewing's Fun!!!!

Pacman
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 402
Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 02:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah ha! I found one... I never did find a replacement for these...

Damn Brewing's Fun!!!!

PaulK
Username: Paulk

Post Number: 110
Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 02:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a 10 gallon corney and had a problem with that same fitting. At one point in time someone had information posted online about modifying certain sink faucet repair parts to use as replacements for these nylon fittings. I had printed the picture, wandered into Home Depot and found the part that matched the picture. The part was close but needed to be trimmed down in height. I wish I had the link or the actual part number but it is long gone. Maybe a trip to the faucet parts section of your local mega-hardware store may help.

Pacman
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 403
Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 03:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

you know Paul.. i'm pretty sure i had that link at one time also.. i may have even printed out the picture.... i'll have to dig around for it...
Damn Brewing's Fun!!!!

Pacman
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 404
Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 03:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found it, I found it!

Reconditioning Old Firestone Soda Kegs
Damn Brewing's Fun!!!!

PaulK
Username: Paulk

Post Number: 111
Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 03:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pacman - Kudos on the searching! That's the one. My keg has been working like a charm for years with this solution so I can attest to the fact that it works.

Carl McCoy
Username: Ib4it

Post Number: 62
Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 03:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the tubes the same diameter as a regular cornie? I have a somewhat illustrated supply house catalog that I could flip through, knowing the diameter would make the process easier.

It almost looks like the end of a 3/8 plastic supply line would work. They don't have a step down like above pic, just beveled. That looks kind of familiar to me.

Arrrrgh, I'll never get to sleep now!

Paul Muth
Username: Pjmuth

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 02:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All,

I've been following this thread with some interest and I might have a solution for the issue at hand. I called the owner of my LHBS this morning to discuss the problem with him. Jess, the owner, is very familiar with the racetrack lid kegs. He has a source for the liquid and gas posts, poppets, washers and the plastic inserts. The plastic insert in question can be had for less than $0.50 each and the poppets for less than $2.50 each.

My LHBS is Alternative Beverage. You can call Jess for information using the phone numbers on his web site.

HTH,
PJ

Vance Barnes
Advanced Member

Post Number: 998
Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 03:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Man, this board is just awsome! My keg is like the first picture that Pacman posted. I've cleaned the parts and they don't smell, they're just discolored and one is a little cracked and deteriorated around the edge. Thanks for the link Pacman and the info on Alt Bev. Paul. I've done business with Jess years ago and will probably go that route since it's so cheap and easy.

Thanks!!!