Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * Archive through October 04, 2004 * Unibroue at the Beard House < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Mark Tigges
Username: Mtigges

Post Number: 174
Posted on Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 12:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not sure how many of you know about or care about James Beard and his house, but this was interesting to me. Lumiere is a restaurant in my hometown that I try to go as often as my collection of toonies and loonies allows me. It is by almost all accounts an excellent restaurant. The almost comes in by the fact that their excellent somelier and cellar is not matched by any kind of impressive beer.

The chef of Lumiere (who is becoming a TV star here in Canada) was recently invited to cook at the Beard house (which is a VERY big deal among chefs). He served two Unibroue beers.

La Fin du Monde
Trois Pistole

http://www.jamesbeard.org/events/2004/07/001.shtml

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 714
Posted on Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 11:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Of course each of these beers is a very worthy example of the Belgian strong golden ale and Belgian strong dark ale style respectively, as well as the fact that they could be paired with food as successfully as any wine. I consider them both a treasure.

Denny Conn
Username: Denny

Post Number: 3621
Posted on Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 06:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The whole concept of the Beard House rocks! Several Oregon chefs, including a couple from Eugene, prepared a meal there not too long ago. They served Oregon wines, though, not beers.
LIfe begins at 60...1.060, that is.

Bill Aimonetti
Username: Zuchinnicat

Post Number: 233
Posted on Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 07:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

>They served Oregon wines, though, not beers.

Probably because Oregon beers leave your mouth numb from hop resins preventing full enjoynment of the food paired with it.

Mark Tigges
Username: Mtigges

Post Number: 177
Posted on Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 11:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I made a mistake! It's even more impressive, the two beers mentioned above were paired with a course of Quebec cheeses. There was also a course of appetizers in which the pairing choices were Ephemere (apple) and Blanche de Chambly.

I hope the next time I go to Lumiere there will be a selection of beers paired with each course!