Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * Archive through October 15, 2004 * Micro Brewery in Phoenix < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Andrew Deutsch
Username: Dog_face_brewer

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 07:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey,
I am in Phoenix for a few days, anyone know of a good micro brewery around these parts?

dave tevis
Username: Azshtr

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 10:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is Four Peaks in Tempe, Gordon Birsch in Tempe (though not really a micro), Rock Bottom is great... its on Shea at the 101 freeway, also Chandler Mall has a great one that has won many awards but the name escapes me right now. You can also try Papago brewing on McDowel... they have tons of beer on tap, for a geat irish pub Rosie McCaffreys on Camelback near 7st is highly recommended. Have a beer for me:-)

dave tevis

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 10:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just had a Kolsch (spelling?) at Gordon that was great!

Andrew Deutsch
Username: Dog_face_brewer

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 11:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was at Gordon Birsch last visit and it is a nice place with decent beer. To answer my own question... Micro beer wise, it is as micro as is Rock Bottom but the beer is decent. I ran into a little place I found in the yellow pages called Sonora Brew pub. It is on Camelback and 7th st. I have to say they are currently serving the absolute BEST beer I have ever had the privelege of tasting. I have tried microbeer across the nation, no where as much as seasoned profesionals as Bill Pierce of course, but I have tried alot. Some of my fav's are Great Lakes Elliot Ness, Bell's Porter, Flat Tire's 1554, etc...... I have to say, without a doubt, the best beer I have tasted was tonight!!!!

They are serving a true cask ale, it changes apparently from time to time (as the cask runs dry) it is a Pale Ale called the Burning Bird that is conditioned with Tomahawk hops. OH MY GOD!!!! It is by far the best beer I have ever drank!!!!! From start to finish, GO GET SOME!!!

If you live in Arizona, make the trip before it runs out.

Andrew

dave tevis

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 04:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll second that one. I've had that beer at Sonora and it is a great beer. Nice little pub as well.

Wm John Ivey
Username: Fat_elvis

Post Number: 250
Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 08:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And don't forget the homebrew rootbeer there, Its like the first time I had homebrewed beer once you taste it you can't go back. :-)
John

Hophead
Username: Hophead

Post Number: 1009
Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 11:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rock Bottom would not be my first choice...

Depending on where you are staying :

Sonora (as mentioned) Brewing, ask for uwe ("ooovah"), and/or visit the brewery with a bar in phoenix

BJ's (chandler mall reference}

4 peaks (scottsdale and tempe)

rio salado (tempe/guadalupe)

Papago's (scottsdale, MANY taps)

gordon's as mentioned in tempe

rock bottom is ok, in various locations

copper creek in chandler

not in order, random thoughts.

If you want a place with the best selection of incredible brews (not just their brew), then papago's is a must visit. off scottsdale and, hmmm, mcdowell road.

email for any direction or good/bad advise...

by the way, you picked a great time to visit phoenix weather wise!