Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * Archive through October 15, 2004 * Hop vine propagation < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Jeff Miller
Username: Zeke

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 03:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great thread on "hops per plant" I thought. But I have a question for all you that grow hops. Does a buried vine sprout the next spring?

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 784
Posted on Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 01:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's not the vines that are buried, it's the rhizomes in the ground. They should send up new shoots next spring after the frost is out of the ground.

Dave Witt
Advanced Member
Username: Davew

Post Number: 509
Posted on Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 05:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Supposedly, if you plant a bottom vine underground, and leave it all winter, you can dig it up, cut it, and plant pieces of it to start new plants the next year. This is in the Freshops hop gardening guide at their website.

I have my hops growing adjacent to my vegetable garden. The other day I pulled my tomato and zucchini plants out and rototilled the entire garden--making sure not to bury any stray hop vines. That's the last thing I need, hops sprouting uncontrolled in the veggie garden.

Jeffery Swearengin
Intermediate Member
Username: Beertracker

Post Number: 486
Posted on Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 04:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's very interesting. I need to buy their book. Several others have commented on the quality of information contained within. On a side-note, I had a couple of low hanging vines on my a-Female plant that decided to sprout tenacle roots after falling onto the ground this Summer.
CHEERS! Beertracker

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world." ~ Saint Arnold of Metz (580-640) - Patron Saint of Brewers