Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * Archive through November 18, 2004 * Rogue's Dead Guy Ale < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Hoody
Username: Hoody

Post Number: 164
Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 02:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone have an all-grain recipe for this?

-Jason

Obadiah Poundage
Username: Obadiah_poundage

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 02:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hell, does anyone have an AG recipe for this brew?
Sorry to hijack, but I'm a fan of this beer and I'd like to find a clone recipe for it for AG.

Mark Zgarrick
Username: Maz

Post Number: 107
Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 02:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I believe there was an article in Zymurgy (a number of issues back) called "A Rogue-ish Dozen" that had a Dead Guy recipe.

Email me and I'll try to remember to look it up at home tonight.

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 1076
Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 03:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's in the September-October 2003 issue of Zymurgy.

Michael
Advanced Member
Username: Hoppop

Post Number: 557
Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 03:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is one in Clone Brews, as well. I've plugged both the Clone Brews and the Zymurgy in ProMash, and the Zymurgy one's seem closest. I'll try and remember to post both later.

The key is the yeast. Denny, got any fresh slants of that Brewtek CL-50 around? Otherwise, you could try making a starter out of the Shakes. Stout which is bottle conditioned and supposedly has the original strain. I haven't had much luck doing this, but those bottles make a long journey to my neck of the woods and who knows how they were handled.

Denny Conn
Username: Denny

Post Number: 3791
Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 05:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In spite of the fact that the article implies CL50 is the same as Pacman, I can't believe it, having used both. I've got a recipe for a slightly stronger, slightly hoppier version here...
http://www.tastybrew.com/brews/view/26

Did a side by side tasting of it against Dead Guy a couple weeks ago and it's darn close.
LIfe begins at 60...1.060, that is.

Michael
Advanced Member

Post Number: 559
Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 06:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Denny, thanks for the recipe. Not too sweet, eh? I believe Dead Guy is up around 40 IBU's with ~1.062 OG....

>>>CL50 is the same as Pacman, I can't believe it, having used both.>>>>

Yeah, that was part of the speculation in the Zymurgy article. I have used neither cl50 or the Pacman strain, so have no idea. BTW, how (where) did you get the Pacman strain?

Oh, nevermind...that's right. You had the "man" brew your Rye IPA.

Denny Conn

Post Number: 3795
Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 07:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've cultured Pacman from Shakespeare stout in the past. You can also drop by the brewery to get some (well, some of us can if we live in the right place!) WY1056 is closer to Pacman than CL50 is, IMO.

Hophead
Username: Hophead

Post Number: 1043
Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 09:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll second the culturing of pacman yeast from the shakespeare stout (with the side benefit of getting to drink it too) from the big bottle...

Nick Shore
Username: Nshore

Post Number: 51
Posted on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 07:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an old empty bottle of this and one night after I turned off the lights, I noticed that the label glows in the dark. How fricking cool is that?! I bought it about 10 years ago.

Denny Conn

Post Number: 3801
Posted on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 05:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nick, they bring those out at Halloween. They're available again at the moment.

Mark Zgarrick

Post Number: 109
Posted on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 06:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah, I've got a Dead Guy growler that glows. Very cool.

Michael
Advanced Member

Post Number: 560
Posted on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 06:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hoody, here is the one out of Zymurgy...I have yet to brew it....I love Dead Guy.

5.5 gallons (end of boil)
70% eff
OG - 1.068
IBU - 49

8# Great Western (2-row)
2# Munich
1# Crystal (15)

1 oz Perle (8%) 90 minutes
.5 oz Saaz (4.3%) 10 minutes

Yeast - see earlier posts

Mash @ 150f for one hour
90 minute boil

Jeffery Swearengin
Advanced Member
Username: Beertracker

Post Number: 530
Posted on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 09:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The glow-in-the-dark growlers are pretty cool!

I went to my favorite local watering hole called McNellie's Public House to celebrate All Saints Day a.k.a. The Day of the Dead (Dia de los Muertos) for an imperial pint of Rogue Dead Guy Ale. They had just tap the keg the Saturday before & it blew before sundown. Now the distributor is out!
CHEERS! Beertracker

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world." ~ Saint Arnold of Metz (580-640) - Patron Saint of Brewers

Hoody
Username: Hoody

Post Number: 165
Posted on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 10:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Michael, thanks for the recipe. This is definetly going to be the next beer I make. I love this beer, but it's so dang expensive in the grocery store, so hopefully this will match up.

Mark, where did you get that growler? Can you still find them?

I will post on how this turned out, but it's going to be awhile. In the mean time, has anyone brewed the versions out of zymurgy or cloned brews?

-Jason

Michael
Advanced Member

Post Number: 562
Posted on Friday, November 12, 2004 - 12:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...and, here is the recipe out of Beer Captured (not Clone Brews).

5 gallons yield
70% eff.

OG 1.064
FG 1.016
IBU 31
abv 6%

9.75 # 2-row
3/4# cara-pils
13 oz cara-munich
13 oz german munich
7 oz crystal (40)

1 oz Perle (7.5), 60 minutes
1/4 oz Perle, 1/4 oz Saaz, 15 minutes

Yeast - Wyeast 1338 or 1056

Mash @ 151f for 90 minutes

I have not made this, and quite honestly, this is one I think the book missed on. If you look at the Rogue site, they call for 40 Ibu's, etc....which is closer to the Zymurgy recipe...

http://www.rogueales.com/brews.html#deadguy

If you brew using the Beer Captured recipe, I'd go with the American Ale yeast....(not sure where they got the European ale yeast).

...Hell, this is day two of a dead smack-pack of 1028 I had planned to use this weekend for an English Ale. I might just have to pull my slurry of Wlp01 out of the fridge and take a shot at Dead Guy this weekend.

Steve Pierson
Username: Stevepierson

Post Number: 146
Posted on Friday, November 12, 2004 - 12:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jason - Try A New Vintage Wine Shop at 1400 N. Eagle Rd. in Meridian - SE corner of Eagle and Fairview. - 208.855.9230 - They had growlers of Dead Guy the last time I was in there - last Tuesday. Tell Ilene I sent you.

Steve Pierson
No one of us knows more than all of us. - Bill Herzog

Nick Shore
Username: Nshore

Post Number: 53
Posted on Friday, November 12, 2004 - 07:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Awww, I thought I was the cool guy for once. Actually, I haven't seen it much because I've lived overseas for the past seven years. When I have seen it, it was the regular bottle. Anyway, it's still cool.

Mark Zgarrick

Post Number: 110
Posted on Friday, November 12, 2004 - 08:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jason,

I've seen Rogue growlers at both Sam's Wine Warehouse and Binny's in Chicago. This was about a year ago.

They also had a buckwheat ale in a growler, but it had a paper label (not silk screened like their 22oz bottles). Of course I bought it - I've never had a Rogue I didn't like.