Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * Archive through November 18, 2004 * Therminator users- question < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Matt Peterson
Username: Fstbttms

Post Number: 86
Posted on Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 06:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For those of you using the Therminator (or any counterflow chiller, I suppose), do any of you somehow strain the wort as it leaves the kettle? I have done 3 batches with my Therminator now and I realise I have very little trub left in the kettle which means it's going into the fermentor. Is this something I should be dealing with? If so, how do you handle it? Thanks.

Geoff Buschur
Intermediate Member
Username: Avmech

Post Number: 295
Posted on Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 06:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a stainless steel scrubby on the end of my pickup tube inside the kettle.

The purpose of the scrubby is two fold. One, it cuts back on the amount of trub and break material in the fermenter and two, I can use whole hops without hop socks.

Paul Edwards
Intermediate Member
Username: Pedwards

Post Number: 497
Posted on Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 07:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I do the same thing, and always include some whole hops in my brews. The whole hops then act to help filter trub.

My SS scrubbies come from Gordon Food Service.

Jeff Preston
Username: Jeffpreston

Post Number: 34
Posted on Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 10:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use a stainless false bottom in my sanke kettle and always use whole hops. The hops do a great job of filtering the trub.