Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * Archive through December 31, 2004 * What to do with this wort... < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
My Impy blew my ConicalHeath12-23-04  02:54 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Andrew S. Webster
Intermediate Member
Username: Tacomabrewer

Post Number: 259
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 09:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is the situation. I made a 10g batch of Oatmeal Stout, and everything went well more or less, until I went to pitch the yeast. I used a 5g corny to snag some yeast from one of the tanks at work, and had it sitting in the fridge until I needed it. I was intending on using CO2 to push the yeast out of the corny, and into my 1/2 bbl Sankey Fermenter.

Unfortunately, the diptube in the corny is way to small to allow yeast to pass through it, even @ 55-60psi! I tried bleeding off the pressure, pouring some of the wort into the corny, pushing with C02 through the diptupe to unclog it, then mixing the yeast up with the wort...didn't work. Tried this a couple times. Finally decided that wasn't going to work.

In the end, I ended up using a sanitized funnel, and just pouring the yeast into the Sanke. After the yeast was finally in there, I started adding my wort...and got about 8 gallons into the fermenter, before it was foaming out the top! Not sure I just used way too much yeast, or if it was all the CO2 I probably had just forced into the yeast...or what caused it to foam so much.

I ended up putting the last 2g or so into the corny that had the yeast in it, and putting it back in the fridge. It's been in there about a week now...what do I do with it?

Heath
Username: Frizedo

Post Number: 90
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 09:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Make another dark beer and use it as a starter..You could take it out of the fridge and ferment it in the corny. Hook a Co2 out up with tubing as an airlock.

Heath