Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * Archive through December 31, 2004 * Rogue yeast < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Kevin Davis
Username: Ktdavis98

Post Number: 154
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 01:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can't find the old post so I am not sure if I am remembering this correctly. Did someone here say that Rogue filters, then uses a different strain of yeast to bottle? I may be confusing this with something else I read. I picked up a good varity of Rogue brews the other day, and I now have all the necessary toys to try a little yeast ranching. Anyone harvested any yeast from Rogue bottles?
Kevin

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 1603
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 03:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Rogue Pacman strain can be cultured from its bottle conditioned beers. Try the Shakespeare Stout.

Kevin Davis
Username: Ktdavis98

Post Number: 155
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 03:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bill,
I ended up with "Dead Guy", "Oregon Golden", "Younger's Special Bitter", "Mocha Porter", and "Honey Cream Ale". I did not see any of the Shakespeare Stout when I got these. Would the Mocha Porter also use the Pacman strain? All of these look like they have a good layer of seidment on the bottom, so I guess they are bottle conditioned, even though they do not say so on the bottle or cariers. Thanks.
Kevin

Bill Pierce

Post Number: 1606
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 04:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kevin, use the Mocha Porter.

Connie
Intermediate Member
Username: Connie

Post Number: 265
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 04:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had one of their "Brutal Bitter" beers last night and will try to culture a yeast starter from it.

Bill Pierce

Post Number: 1609
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 06:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I did a search of the archives on culturing the Rogue yeast from bottles: http://hbd.org/discus/messages/20001/21567.html

Pacman reported problems with the Mocha Porter. But, Kevin, you might try what you have and see if there is success.