Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2004 * Archive through December 31, 2004 * Kits kits kits...a little help? < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Doug Pescatore
Username: Doug_p

Post Number: 1055
Posted on Monday, December 27, 2004 - 02:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well santa was good to me this year. I now have two woodforde real ale kits, one true brew kit, and one brew house kit.

Since my last experience with a kit was my MrBeer kits 3 years ago, I have a couple of questions about the yeast. With MrBeer, I always recommend replacing the yeast that comes with the kits with nottingham or safale, but these woodforde kits look (seem) to be more advanced. Is the yeast that comes with them anything more than generic yeast and does it provide and characteristics to the brew that would be missing if I went for a brand name yeast?

Any experience with the woodforde real ale kits would be helpful. I plan on using a Wyeast lager yeast with my brew house kit (mexican cervesa) and I will use Safbrew-33 (edme) with my true brew Irish ale kit.

-Doug

Doug Pescatore

Post Number: 1056
Posted on Monday, December 27, 2004 - 05:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

bump..........

Aaron Meyer
Username: Meyeaard

Post Number: 30
Posted on Monday, December 27, 2004 - 06:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't have any experience with that brand of kit. In fact I've only brewed one kit beer... But as no one else appears to be posting...

I would ALWAYS use an alternate yeast source than from a kit unless you can guarantee that the yeast is still viable. It would also be advisable to use a starter for a couple days to ensure yeast cell numbers are adequate if using a kit yeast.

If you do use an alternate yeast source I would recommend a liquid yeast if available. Also, get a yeast that matches the style of beer you are making as the flavor and characteristics of different yeast strains can and do have a major impact of your finished product.

I prefer and always have used White Labs yeasts. They have a great style-to-yeast Strain section on their website: http://www.whitelabs.com/search.asp
I believe that Wyeast Labs also have a similar database but have not yet used any of their products so I am not familiar with it.

The only dried beer yeast I have used was Nottingham when the desired WL or comparable Wyeast yeast was not available at my LHBS. After using this a couple times I will be sticking with liquid unless I cannot obtain a suitable liquid and cannot harness the inner patience to wait...

Bob Boufford
Username: Bobb

Post Number: 192
Posted on Monday, December 27, 2004 - 11:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doug, On the Brew House kit, throw out the dry yeast, find a matching fresh liquid yeast and put in only 4 liters of water to make @ 5 gallon batch. For the Mexican Cerveza, Brew House recommends Wyeast 2112 California Lager.

If you want to experiment, split the Brew House kit into two styles by adjusting the water and yeasts. Just add the #1 packet first before splitting. I'll take half straight from the box to make a 2 gallon high gravity brew and mix the other half with some water for a "lighter" brew.

Bob

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 1613
Posted on Monday, December 27, 2004 - 11:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I second Bob's recommendations for the Brew House kits. The wort is concentrated, so top off the fermenter with water to the desired O.G. (mix *extremely* well before taking gravity readings). Then pitch a starter of good liquid yeast appropriate for the style. It makes decent beer, better than typical homebrew extract kits.

Doug Pescatore

Post Number: 1058
Posted on Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 04:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bill/Bob,
I was able to find a lot of good information on the brew house kits here via the search feature, so I had already figured I was going to use Wyeast (either Czech Pils or Danish Lager) on my brew house kit and add water to get a gravity around 1.050.

It is the Woodforde kits that I have the real question about the yeast. These kits seem a bit beyond your normal no boil kits. They mention more then once that if you bottle or keg and don't serve via gravity it is an Ale not a Real Ale. So, my question is about their yeast. I wouldn't go out and buy liquid yeast for a LME kit that at worst will make a twangy beer, so I am left with the DCL yeasts (which I love) and Nottingham as my alternatives. But if these kits are of much higher quality, then I would have to assume that their yeast is also of higher quality.

-Doug

Chumley
Username: Chumley

Post Number: 2610
Posted on Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 06:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I never heard of Woodforde kits, so I googled them. I see that they are made by Munton's. I've always liked Munton's dried yeast when I brewed with extract 10 years ago or so, so I wouldn't bother with getting liquid yeast. Plus, there is a principle involved here (shelling out $5 extra for a gift extract kit doesn't seem like a good idea).

(Message edited by chumley on December 28, 2004)