Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2005 * Archive through January 11, 2005 * Wheat Beer Flavor and Wheat % of mash < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Lee Elftman
Username: Lee_elftman

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 03:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As a big fan of wheat beers (Weinhenstephen and Ayinger Ur Weiss) and a new all grain brewer how will the percentage of wheat in my mash affect flavor?

I have brewed a few extract wheats and they always lack in either that banana flavor or that acidic tang that Iím looking for. I have always monitored the temperatures very closely and still canít get there.

I noticed that the Clone Brews book has a wheat recipe with a very high percentage of wheat. What is the upper limit and how will this change the flavor?

Aaron Meyer
Username: Meyeaard

Post Number: 48
Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 03:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't know about wheat malt flavor profile, but I was under the impression that the German wheat beer banana and clove flavors were more due to the yeast than the malt.

The highest percentage of wheat in extract form I've seen (only looked for it once...) was a 60/40 blend of 60% barley and 40% wheat. I think that is one of the reasons to go AG or at least partial mash with german wheat beers.

Craig Henry
Username: Sail

Post Number: 123
Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 03:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

FYI - A wheat beer resembling b-52 that I just finished fermenting containing a fair amount of wheat has lots of banana characteristic but was fermented with a dry english yeast.

Brandon Dachel
Username: Brandon

Post Number: 1376
Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 04:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The most common percentage is probably 60/40. It's not unheard of to go higher than that though.

Most of the flavors associated with the bavarian wheat beer style are created by the yeast. And there are chemical reasons why wheat tends to accentuate these flavors.

If you don't want to even partial mash I'd recommend using DRY wheat malt extract - liquid is too carmelized. Use a small amount of noble hops for bittering, use a tiny (if any) amount of flavor hops (noble) and no aroma hops.

wyeast 3068 is by far my favorite yeast for this. Stay away from 3056 - it's too blah for this style.}

Paul Hayslett
Advanced Member
Username: Paulhayslett

Post Number: 589
Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 04:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

50% to 60% wheat is fairly normal for hefeweizens. Replace some of the barley malt with acid (sauer) malt (up to maybe 5% of total grain bill) for an acidic tang. Add 1/2lb rice hulls to avoid a stuck mash.

Use Wyeast 3068 hefeweizen yeast (I don't know the White Labs equivalent) and ferment in the upper 60's for lots of banana flavor. Be careful -- it's easy to overdo it and end up with banana beer. Keep the temp below 70F.
The dreadful foul drink called mead is made from honey, then fermented. It is the sourest, blackest, vilest stuff ever invented by any man, and yet it is potent beyond all knowing; a few drinks and the world spins. -- Ibn Fadlan A.D.922