Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2005 * Archive through January 20, 2005 * 15->11*C primary < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Safale 04 & Safbrew 33 ComparisonKenny Reed01-18-05  08:06 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

q-ceps
Username: Qceps

Post Number: 54
Posted on Monday, January 17, 2005 - 07:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Because my cardboard box "fridge" relies on outside air for cooling, and because the weather variations were huge lately, the Safale primary has fermented for eight days, slowly declining from 15 to 10.5 *Celsius. The fermentation appeared normal, with high krausen and all (day 2), which subsided (day 4-5) as the bubbling slowed down (day 5-6). My concern is: could this have happened due to temperature drop instead of completion?

I am trying to decide between two options:

- leave at 10-11 for another 6 days, then transfer to secondary (what I want to do, if fermentation is OK

- raise to 15-16 for completion and possible diacetyl rest (if yeast going dormant), then transfer to secondary

This is the first time I fermented with ale yeast that cold, BTW, so I lack experience.

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 1868
Posted on Monday, January 17, 2005 - 07:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The obvious questions: what was the O.G. and what's the current gravity?

q-ceps
Username: Qceps

Post Number: 55
Posted on Monday, January 17, 2005 - 07:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

1.054 and dunno. Point understood, however. Will take a measurement tonight.

In general, though, will any ale yeasts do anything below 11*C?

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 1869
Posted on Monday, January 17, 2005 - 07:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can't speak for Safale at that temperature. Most ale strains are not very active at all at 11 C (52 F), but a couple (Wyeast 1007 and 1728, for example) would still be working. Anyway, a gravity reading will tell you what you need to know.

Mark Zgarrick
Username: Maz

Post Number: 142
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 04:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As Bill said, you definitely need to take a gravity reading.

But, I wouldn't be surprised if your beer is done fermenting... Safale (S-04 I assume?) is a quick fermenter (even at 60F). I use it quite a bit and know it will finish a normal strength beer such as yours within a week. Based on your observations with the kreusen and your airlock bubbles, you're probably ready to rack to the secondary.

Hercules
Username: Hercules

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 05:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My house ale yeast is SAFAle S-04. I've fermented numerous batches at 65 degrees and two recent batches at 60 degrees. My fermentations have all proceeded as you described, with the exception of a Scottish Wee Heavy that took longer. I'll bet you are ready to rack.