Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2005 * Archive through January 20, 2005 * Florida brewers only - 2005 Best Florida Beer Championship < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

don price
Advanced Member
Username: Donzoid

Post Number: 536
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 10:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Never want to hear the term "hunkered down" again?

Homebrew entries due by February 5. Final round judging will take place at the Florida State Fair on Saturday February 19. Various beer related activities taking place Thursday through Sunday so get out of the house and come join us in the Tampa Bay area.

Much more info at http://www.bestfloridabeer.org/

See ya!

Don

Chumley
Username: Chumley

Post Number: 2659
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 11:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

>>2005 Best Florida Beer Championship

Omigosh! A betting man would put his money down on Bud Light to defeat Bud, Miller Lite and Coors Light.

Mike McNeil
Username: Macster

Post Number: 132
Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 03:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good job Chumley! For a Montanian you seem to have a fairly accurate grasp on the uneducated and unsophisticated beer palate of the average Floridian.

I must say however that things have been progressing here, albeit SLOWLY. I drove 2 hours to Orlando yesterday just to buy some quality Belgians which can't be found anywhere near here (Jax/St. Augustine).

I'm sure glad I homebrew!!

Jason Thagard
Username: Jthagard

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 08:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's too bad Mike. I live in Orlando and almost every chain liquor store has Chimay, Duvel, and the other "regulars" around here. We have a couple really good shops that carry just about everything I would want to buy. Gainesville would be a much closer drive for you. Gator Beverage always had a pretty good selection. Worth a try anyway.

John Jacox
Username: Johnj

Post Number: 77
Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 01:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I live in Lakeland, and the megachains have just recently started carrying some "regulars" here, but I have to make the occasional trip to Orlando to visit Hearts Homebrew (nayy) to drool over the selection of micros and imports they have there. Last time I picked up Bigfoot, SNCA, Samichlaus, St. Bernardus ABT-12, and Dogfish Head Raison de Etre (spelling probably isn't correct, but I destroyed all the evidence so I can't check!). About time to make another road trip!

bilge rat
Username: Bilgerat

Post Number: 124
Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 01:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hey...i am in orlando right now....staying at disney for a conference,,,and can find NO good beer anywhere on the premisis.

where is this hearts homebrew place? and how do i get there from disney??

John Jacox

Post Number: 78
Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 02:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bilgerat, here's their link. They have a map and driving instructions on their website.
http://www.heartshomebrew.com/

Mike McNeil

Post Number: 133
Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 02:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Since we've got a little FL thread goin' -- for you beer hunters in the Orlando/Winter Park area I've found Big C Liquors out on University (east side of town) next to the Winn Dixie (used to be Goodings) has an absolute fantastic selection of Belgians at pretty fair prices. Also carries a nice domestic selection including Avery, North Coast, Lost Coast, DogfishHead, Great Divide to name a few. Eddy, the beer guy is very knowledgable and helpful. I forget the intersection the shopping center is at, but its about 3/4 mile east of Semoran (436).

On Aloma, also in Winter Park is Whole Foods Market which also has a very nice selection.

At 2603 S. Hiawassee on the west side is Knightly Spirits. I've not been there yet, however, the other day while at Whole Foods I was talking to one of the Micro Man distributors and he said that the Knightly Spirits owner has a goal to carry the best selection in the Orlando area. He said he now already carries a lot of nice beers.

I went to Hearts during my trip the other day also to pick up a couple of 6 gal. Better Bottles (which of course he was out of). Compared to Big C and Whole Foods I wasn't that impressed by their beer selection. They seem to specialize in singles, which of course you'll pay more for. I didn't see any 750ml. Belgians.

Hope this helps.

bilge rat
Username: Bilgerat

Post Number: 127
Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 02:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks john....i'll cruise by there after work tomorrow.

Donnie
Username: Donnie

Post Number: 64
Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 02:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike, last time I was in the area, I thought that Broudy's in Jax Beach had a fairly nice selection of brews.

John Jacox

Post Number: 79
Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 03:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike, I'll have to check those places out next road trip. Lakeland is truly the pits for beer, the best selection here is actually at a gas station. The owner keeps a selection of european imports and usually has three or four Unibrou beers on hand, but usually nothing "exotic". Most liquor stores think they have a good selection if they have both bud and bud light!

Mike McNeil

Post Number: 134
Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 03:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Donnie - yeah Beau (the Broudy's beer manager) is doing a pretty good job. Both the Jax Beach and Fleming Island stores are starting to carry a pretty good selection. More Belgians seem to be available at the Jax Beach location.

However, the selection I find at Big C and Whole Foods in Winter Park are definitely a lot better and worth the 130 mile trip a couple of times per year.

Mike McNeil

Post Number: 135
Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 03:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John - Knightly Spirits would probably be your best bet since its further south than Winter Park. Another suggestion may be World Of Beer in Clearwater which may be just as far as Orlando - no?

John Jacox

Post Number: 80
Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 03:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Mike, I found websites and or directions to all the places you named, so now I just need to find the time. I used to work in Orlando, but now I work in Tampa so World of Beer might be an option if I get off work early some day. I used to make the occasional trip to the Air Force base south of Tampa that had a pretty good selection, but the last time I was there they must have changed buyers, because it had reverted to primarily BMC beers. You've given me some new options - Thanks!!!