Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2005 * Archive through February 06, 2005 * How long can I stoor my grain and hops < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Tim Pratt
Username: Timca

Post Number: 207
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 01:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi there,
I have one of thoes vacume sealing things. How long and how do I store it. Should I freeze them? If so how long are they good for?

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 1999
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 02:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They are great for sealing hops and storing in the freezer, where they should keep for a year or more. As for grain, I don't think vacuum sealing is really necessary except if the grain is crushed or flaked, in which case it should keep for several months.

Tim Pratt

Post Number: 208
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 05:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cool, thanks.
Do I need to freez the grain also?

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 2007
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 05:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Store the grain in a dry, somewhat cool place.

Hophead
Username: Hophead

Post Number: 1134
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 06:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you freeze the grain for a couple of days, it will help keep the bugs away too. I've stored (vacuum sealed) hops and grains for (much) longer than those above (conservative) with good results...

michael atkins
Username: Mga

Post Number: 73
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 01:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Grains stored in government or private storage bins (corn for example) have an approximate 14% moisture content, or lower. Higher than 14% and the elevator storage facility will "dock" (lower) the price accordingly. The grains, usually kept for animal feed, will last for a very long time usually from 1 year+ - from old crop to new crop and even up to 5+ years or longer.

I suspect that barley will last a year and even more if it's not crushed and if the moisture content is appropriate, irregardless of extreme temperature ranges. Bins that are full will preserve grain better than not so full bins. Probably the O2 factor.

Anyway one year or more under the best conditions if they are not crushed!

Jerry Rice
Username: Jerry7423

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 01:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I store my grains and hops in the freezer. I usually buy hops by the pound and keep them in the freezer so they stay fresher, the grains I keep in the freezer just because I live in Florida and do not feel like sharing them with the palmetto bugs. Have never noticed a problem with grain or Hops that I have that are more than two years old.

I also cultivate my yeast strains on AGAR slants and have used ones as old as three or four years old without any problems. I had a wyeast smack pack dated in September of 1999 and I smacked it the other day. I was surprised to find it started. It took two days instead of one, so I made a small starter and put into the fridge until I use it.

Jeffery Swearengin
Advanced Member
Username: Beertracker

Post Number: 627
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 03:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try adding some N2 (if you have any?) before sealing them. It really helps!
CHEERS! Beertracker

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world." ~ Saint Arnold of Metz (580-640) - Patron Saint of Brewers

Tim Pratt

Post Number: 209
Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 04:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Im thinking of bying 50 Lb sack of bace malt. To save money and time driving to the store.