Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2005 * Archive through February 06, 2005 * Mini as opposed to full grain? < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Joe DiBenedetti
Username: Docwino

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, February 05, 2005 - 04:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am not quite ready to go with full grain brewing. Could someone please tell me what exactly is mini mash and what is the process involved.
Thanks in advance.

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 2156
Posted on Saturday, February 05, 2005 - 04:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here are some decent partial-mash instructions from a BYO article of a couple of years ago: http://byo.com/feature/986.html

Some people will tell you that you may as well put together the equipment for all-grain brewing if you are going to be serious about it. You don't really save any time or effort from partial mashing as opposed to all-grain. However, partial mashing has certain advantages. You can often use utensils found in your kitchen, so you can test the waters, so to speak. Also, there is less concern about efficiency (I would assume 55-60 percent for the contribution from the partial mash) because you make up the rest of the gravity with extract.

(Message edited by BillPierce on February 05, 2005)

Joe DiBenedetti
Username: Docwino

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, February 05, 2005 - 09:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bill,
Thanks for the link it cleared things up quite a bit. Eventually I will get into full grain brewing but right now space is limited. The wife is starting to complain about me taking up half the space in her canning kitchen so looks like like I'll be building a brewhouse this summer.

George Schmidt
Intermediate Member
Username: Gschmidt

Post Number: 387
Posted on Saturday, February 05, 2005 - 10:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Biggest problem with AG is having enough pot and fire to boil 6.5 gallons. You can do a full mash and sparge off a high gravity 3 gallons, boil that, then dilute in the fermentor like an extract batch. No additional equipment except the big cooler. Look here for some idea what I'm talking about.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors -- and miss. ~~Robert A. Heinlein: The Notebooks of Lazarus Long