Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2005 * Archive through March 16, 2005 * Brew day 3-8-05.... my best ever! < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Chad D.
Intermediate Member
Username: Icehouse

Post Number: 369
Posted on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 12:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just had to share my brewday notes from yesterday....

I was using a friends pump and my therminator for the first time. From start to finish (excluding some final cleanup) I was done in 4 hours! That is a record for me.

I hit all my temps dead on too. The only thing I forgot was the Irish Moss, but that's nothing new. I ALWAYS forget that. My OG was dead on too.

I brewed a Sam Adams clone on top of an existing WY2206 slurry. It went so well, that I'm wondering when that "something bad" is gonna happen. Just waiting for signs of infection... LOL

davidw
Advanced Member
Username: Davidw

Post Number: 960
Posted on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 03:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gotta love days like that! The nice thing about it is, the more you brew, the more familiar you get with your system, and the more good days like this you have.

Chumley
Username: Chumley

Post Number: 2844
Posted on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 04:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's pretty amazing, Chad. I brewed yesterday, too, and my brew day lasted 15 hours.

In my defense, I brewed while I worked. I mashed in before work at 148F, put the mashtun in my oven set at 170F, and when I got home it read 160F. Over lunch I transferred to the lautertun, heated sparge water, and began sparging.

When I got home from work, I found I had over sparged and collected too much wort - only about three inches to the top of my kettle. So, I boiled the wort for 2.5 hours, still had too much, but I used a half gallon to feed a starter of WY2308.

Ended up with 5 gallons of a nice looking 1.056 Dortmund Export wort. Used a tsp of gypsum in the mash, and 2 tsp each of calcium carbonate and Burton water salts in the boil. Pitched it on a yeast cake of Budvar yeast. Reading your post, it reminded me that I, too, forgot the Irish moss. :-)

Michael
Advanced Member
Username: Hoppop

Post Number: 608
Posted on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 04:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

>>>I'm wondering when that "something bad" is gonna happen>>>

The only bad thing will be that you will have wished you would have brewed more when it is all gone.

Good on you for the brewday. I've actually brewed the last two weekends (the six before that were honey-do list hell). Anway...I might have one more silver bullet (not from Golden) left for this weekend. Heh.

Bill Tobler
Intermediate Member
Username: Billt

Post Number: 326
Posted on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 04:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice job Chad. 4 hours is dam good. I can get close to that "IF" I get the water and grain ready the day before. Does that count? I don't count getting the starter ready. I don't count clean up either. Heck, that's not brewing. That's labor.
Bill Tobler
Lake Jackson,Texas
My Brewery

Chad D.
Intermediate Member
Username: Icehouse

Post Number: 370
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 12:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bill...

I'm right there with ya.... In fairness, as a disclaimer, I should add that I don't add ALL time involved in prep or cleanup. Generally, I count the day as "starting" when I mash in. So.... getting the water ready may add 25 mins....

I was a little disappointed in the lag time. Wort was 1.051, pitched on slurry from a previous batch. Airlock activity began like 8 hours after pitching. It was VERY slow activity until about 26 hours in. I now have a nice 2.5 inch krausen, and its fermenting away at 53 degrees.

I used O2 as well.... the extremely slow initial ferment had me a bit concerned, but I swear....

I'm not happy unless I have something to worry about.

Yam
Username: Yam

Post Number: 34
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 02:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dang, I would be worried. My two worst brewdays procduced two of my best beers. On the other hand my two best brewdays produced what seem to be my worst. Not that I'm trying to bring you down or anything that is just my experence. I starting to be convinced that when I have a brewing accident that puts me in the hospital. I will have created the best brew that man has ever tasted.

Tom12
Username: Tom12

Post Number: 47
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 03:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I too have the same sort of experience. If something doesn't go wrong I start to worry! One of my best beers occured when my boiler didn't quite reach boiling point so it 'simmered' for about three hours. I was cabbaged at the time so I didn't really care!

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 2621
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 03:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom, that's a new one (no doubt unique to the UK) to add to my list of euphemisms for intoxication: "cabbaged."