Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2005 * Archive through March 25, 2005 * Slow primary -- 1332 < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Aaron Singer
Username: Aarons

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 03:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is the first time I've used 1332 -- doing 1.053-ish APA and pitched one of the Activator pouches directly into oxygenated wort. Airlock activity w/i 12 hours, then moved it to the basement the next day (lower 60's). I had steady bubbling for 14+ days. This is the first time I've had a primary go on so long with a simple ale. Should I bother transfering it to secondary, or just leave it in the bucket a while longer and put it straight into a keg? Thanks.

davidw
Advanced Member
Username: Davidw

Post Number: 987
Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 03:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Current gravity?

Fredrik
Username: Fredrik

Post Number: 2044
Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 03:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Regardless of what caused this, if it's still going at a somewhat reasonable rate I wouldn't remove any yeast by racking. Perhaps rousing to the fermentor reduce the CO2 pressure as well as rising the temperature may make life for the yeast a little easier. If it stops prematurely though, take a gravity reading and decide from thereon what to do.

/Fredrik

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 2763
Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 03:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Davidw's correct. I'm paraphrasing Denny Conn here, but let the specific gravity rather than the calendar determine when you should rack your beer.

Doug Pescatore
Username: Doug_p

Post Number: 1251
Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 03:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aaron,
We have had some guys do some pretty cool studies on pitching and under pitching. Basically if you have areated your wort thoroughly you will have no problem reaching your FG, but it will take longer than if you pitched a starter.

Let the yeast finish the job no matter how long it takes. If you want speed, pitch a large starter and aerate the piss out of it. I usually do a starter with liquid yeast or brew a small batch (2.5 gallons) to start before using the yeast cake for a 5 gallon batch.

You will be fine.

-Doug