Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2005 * Archive through April 04, 2005 * Yeast DOA < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Peter Roman
Advanced Member
Username: Lilbordr

Post Number: 639
Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 09:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I went to make a starter of Wyeast's Danish II larger yeast yesterday. The yeast came in the 100ml pitchable tube. I was wondering why I wasn't seeing any activity today. A glance at the tube showed the date (in very tiny print) OCT03. Yeah, thatís right, the tube is ~2.5 years in age. Needless to say I'm sure that even if a few cells did survive, they would take at least 3 weeks to bring them back to a useable quantity. On top of that I'm sure there would be a good deal of mutation. I should have gotten the smack pack instead *whack*. The good news is my friend gave me a jug of White Labs Oktoberfest yeast. Also, I'm making the Heineken clone from CloneBrews because my roommate drinks the stuff and asked me to try my hand at it. I don't know if it's going to be a Heiny clone or just a pilsner. I would imagine the latter considering the last second yeast substitution. I am going back to my LHBS and demanding store credit for that yeast. The tube was $6.90!!!

Cheers to shoddy merchandise,
Peter Roman

Geoff Buschur
Advanced Member
Username: Avmech

Post Number: 649
Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 09:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey, Peter the Engineer, October 03 is only a year and a half old. And my guidance counselor told me not to go into engineering because you need to be good at math!

Vance Barnes
Username: Vancebarnes

Post Number: 1524
Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 09:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You'd have to bottle in clear or green bottles and let it sit in the sun before it would be a Heineken clone.

I've made starters from older tubes but realized it ahead of time and allowed for the delay.

Hophead
Username: Hophead

Post Number: 1291
Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 09:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually, it's probably about 2 years old, as I believe the date on the tube is a 'use by this date to be fresh' not the date that it was put in the tube. That is, the printed date's about 4 months after it was originally tubed... Of course, I could be completely wrong about this (WLP user myself).

Lager not larger! I don't think there'd be any worry of mutations, just some extra time to get the viable population back up. Heineken clone from an octoberfest yeast? Good luck with that... :-)

Greg Beron
Intermediate Member
Username: Gberon

Post Number: 347
Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 10:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hophead, Wyeast uses "born on" dating. It's White Labs which applies a "best by" date.

Nice brewing setup, Peter.
Greg Beron
Culver City Home Brewing Supply
www.brewsupply.com

Richard Nye
Advanced Member
Username: Yeasty_boy

Post Number: 624
Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 10:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My LHBS owner gives me yeast that's over 6 months old. What a great deal! I just make starters with them and allow a little extra time. Peter, the yeast will work, but it will probably take 2-3 days to see some activity.

Hophead

Post Number: 1296
Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 11:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Greg; see, told ya I might be completely wrong... I do like the new bigger wyeast packs that they make now. Born on date? Wonder if AB will sue...

robert rulmyr
Advanced Member
Username: Wacobob

Post Number: 528
Posted on Friday, March 25, 2005 - 11:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Two words, yeast culturing!

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 2794
Posted on Friday, March 25, 2005 - 03:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peter, give the starter 4-5 days. It's still possible that you may see activity. I wouldn't write off the yeast until after a week. I know people who have managed to revive Wyeast smack packs that are more than two years old.

Hophead

Post Number: 1301
Posted on Friday, March 25, 2005 - 05:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just smacked a wyeast octoberfest blend pack last night, and it indeed says 'mfg on' next to the date, so no AB lawsuits...

A little peculiar in that this is a seasonal blend "Promoted July-September, 2633 Octoberfest Lager Blend" yet it was mfg on NOV 04... Guess they still make it year round.

Chumley
Username: Chumley

Post Number: 2923
Posted on Friday, March 25, 2005 - 05:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

>>Just smacked a wyeast octoberfest blend pack last night

With time for starters and all, aren't you pushing the envelope a little close for brewing a Marzenbier, HH?

Paul Erbe
Username: Perbe

Post Number: 85
Posted on Friday, March 25, 2005 - 07:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think the Reinheitsgebot says you can technically brew until St. Georges day which falls on April 23rd. Although I seem to remember the cutoff being more like April 11th. I think I read that date in Designing Great Beers.

Oh well since I can't remember it doesn't really matter cause Oktoberfest is in September anyways?
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least, you need a beer."
-- Frank Zappa

Hophead

Post Number: 1304
Posted on Saturday, March 26, 2005 - 03:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Today is March 26th, I think, so I should be OK! Starter is chugging along from last night... Problem isn't not having enough time, it's not drinking it before october...

Peter Roman
Advanced Member
Username: Lilbordr

Post Number: 645
Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 08:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's an update on that yeast.
I talked to my brew buddy today at work and he told me the starter (1.020 w/nutrients and stir plate) took off last night. He plans on stepping it up tommorow and intends to brew this weekend. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Thanks,
Peter Roman