Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2005 * Archive through April 04, 2005 * Support your local keg < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Colby Enck
Username: Thecheese

Post Number: 175
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 02:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have two turkey fryer type burners that I want to use under my converted kegs. When I place the kegs (empty) on them, they seem awfully wobbly, or at least not as secure as I'd like them to be. Looked at some of the setups in the Photo Gallery, but I'm still wondering a few things. For those of you who "perch" your kegs on the burners (like I would have to do), are they stable? Is there a product out there with a bigger footprint that is heat resistant and beefy enough to hold the weight of a keg full of boiling liquid? Or do you guys build these yourselves?

How do you guys support your kegs on your burners if the burner stand is actually smaller in diameter than the kegs? It's not a big difference, but enough that the skirt of the keg rests on the very edge of the stand and tends to slip around.

Scott Peifer
Username: Scottpeifer

Post Number: 27
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 02:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Colby
Before I built my two tier system, I used a chicken cooker to boil with. I had to make a square frame out of 3/4" angle iron to sit on top of the burner so the keg would sit securely.

davidw
Username: Davidw

Post Number: 1018
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 02:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Same here. Except mine was simply a triangle.

PalerThanAle
Username: Palerthanale

Post Number: 1317
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 03:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

>For those of you who "perch" your kegs on the burners (like I would have to do), are they stable?

One of my burners is just like that - the keg skirt sits precariously on the edge of the burner rail. Stable? no, not really. But since I don't hang glide or sky dive, that is the only rush I get - that and standing up too quick.

PTA
Weaseling out of things is important to learn. Itís what separates us from the animals. Except the weasel.

Vance Barnes
Username: Vancebarnes

Post Number: 1549
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 03:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ugh, made sure and bought burners that would support a keg? Sounds like time for some angle iron for yours.

Geoff Buschur
Advanced Member
Username: Avmech

Post Number: 672
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 03:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm a percher also. Man, what a rush!

Kenny Reed
Username: Ken

Post Number: 98
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 03:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

1: I cut the ring off my turkey fryer.
2: Cut the weld & stretched it open.
3: Welded a filler bar in the gap.
4: Heated & straightened the bottom bars (horizontal base that the keg sits on) so they would extend past the keg sides.
5: Welded 12" vertical support bars to the base.
6: Welded the retaining ring to the support bars.
7: Cleaned up the welds a bit & sprayed some BBQ grill paint on them.
The project took about an hour & a half.
Nice & sturdy.

Vince Turley
Username: Vince

Post Number: 140
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 03:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Colby-
I welded on some 90o metal angle I scavanged from a box that a computer was packed in - you can see a pic of it in the "Scratch Pad" area titled "Burner Pic".

But the best solution IMO, and probably the most ingenious, is the one that Peter Roman came up with... check out the pics in his profile. For a free-standing burner, that is definitely the way to go.

Geoff- man, that looks SCARY... brewing on the edge, for sure!

Tom Gardner
Advanced Member
Username: Tom

Post Number: 589
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 03:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've heard of brewers putting some "expanded metal" on the burner to support the keg. If you're looking for new ones, I'm happy with SABCO's. Tom

Mike Huss
Advanced Member
Username: Mikhu

Post Number: 565
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 03:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My HLT sits just like Geoff's in his pic, but I ran some hose clamps through the weep holes in the keg skirt and around the cooker ring. Rock solid now! I built a rack for my kettle.

George Schmidt
Intermediate Member
Username: Gschmidt

Post Number: 461
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 05:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike's idea is the best I've heard that didn't involve welding. Cool idea. You've got to do something, though. A few months back I knocked mine over full of boiling wort. That SUCKED, but nobody got hurt and just made a mess of the yard. Be careful with that thing.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors -- and miss. ~~Robert A. Heinlein: The Notebooks of Lazarus Long

Patrick C.
Intermediate Member
Username: Patrickc

Post Number: 310
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 09:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Is there a product out there with a bigger footprint that is heat resistant and beefy enough to hold the weight of a keg full of boiling liquid?"

How about 3 of these?
blocks

Colby Enck
Username: Thecheese

Post Number: 176
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 10:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Vince:
Peter Roman's solution is perfect. What do you think those are made from? Looks like attaching them was pretty straightforward.

Peter, you out there anywhere?

Roger Herpst
Username: Roger456

Post Number: 107
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 11:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I also really like Peter's setup. Gotta find myself some of those desk legs... or just make some out of alum tubing.

Peter's website is

http://www.rit.edu/~pjr4269/site/brewrey.htm

Vince Turley
Username: Vince

Post Number: 141
Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 06:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Colby-

I am about to construct a set of legs for my boil kettle, but will be making it out of some 14 gauge 1" X 1" square metal tubing that I have left over from the brewstand I just finished (the brewstand holds the HLT and MLT, whereas the BK is free-standing). Once the legs are mounted to the keg, I plan to weld a cross-piece between the legs to hold the burner and windshield. I probably won't get around to this for a few weeks, but will post a pic in the gallery when I do.

Cheers!
-Vince