Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2005 * Archive through April 04, 2005 * The manifold that increased my efficiency < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Geoff Buschur
Advanced Member
Username: Avmech

Post Number: 679
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 08:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Since there is no such thing as a tee when it comes to plumbing fittings I came up with my own solution.

What do you think?

MJR
Username: Mjr

Post Number: 147
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 08:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looks good!

Did you sweat the fittings together yourself? How long did it take?

I need to upgrade my 10 gallon cooler mash tun...

ScottDeW
Intermediate Member
Username: Scott

Post Number: 277
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 08:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does your Dremel need a new cutting disk?
Scott
http://texanbrew.com

Ric Heinz
Username: Rheinz

Post Number: 216
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 09:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Geoff -

Absolutely beautiful!

Your cross-over is going to trap an air bubble however, unless you can vent it somehow. The air bubble will prevent any fluid flow through this section.
Ric
Flatfender Brewing, NW Houston

Geoff Buschur
Advanced Member

Post Number: 680
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 09:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I only sweated (?) the top part/midspan. The ends are just fit together and then I dimpled them with a punch and hammer. This way I can disassemble it periodically. I tinned the 1/2" exit tube where it connects to the reducer and elbow so not it fits nice and snug, but can be removed from the cooler easily.

I cut the pieces and loosely assembled it in one evening while watching TV. Sweating only took a few minutes and cutting the slits took about an hour. I went through about 10 cutting disks, but that stuff is cheap if you work in a job where you can get them for free.

Geoff Buschur
Advanced Member

Post Number: 681
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 09:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was wondering if I would actually get flow through there or not. Maybe a #40 (3/32) hole at each seam will let the air out, but not interfere with the rest of the flow.

Joseph Listan
Advanced Member
Username: Poonstab

Post Number: 610
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 09:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I question the necessity of it at all. Why not just let the liquid flow around the edges? You already have the flow concentrated near the first tee (the one closest to the exit tube), and an air bubble makes it flow around the edges anyway, so why not just replace all those tees with couplers?

Or just go back in time and use a continuous piece on the outer four lengths

Geoff Buschur
Advanced Member

Post Number: 682
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 09:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You are right, it might not be necessary, but it works.

My idea was to reduce the distance that the wort has to flow to the exit. I imagined that the center of the tun would have a greater amount of flow than the outsides thus reducing the efficiency by increasing the probability of preferential flow through the center. If the crossover doesn't work the way I planned then it will be about the same as the "old" way. If it does work as planned then it is more gooder than the old way. Either way, it's my way!

I really don't know how to test if it is working as planned other then the fact that I saw a jump in efficiency. That may or may not be because of the crossover section.

Denny Conn
Username: Denny

Post Number: 4417
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 09:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Over engineering at it's finest!
LIfe begins at 60...1.060, that is.

Geoff Buschur
Advanced Member

Post Number: 683
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 09:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Denny. It helps that I work in an industry of over engineering.

Ron Siddall
Username: Listerdister

Post Number: 150
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 09:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Geoff, some of these guys just don't get it when it comes to building the brewery. They are just brewers, not brewer/builders like you.

I think it looks pretty good.

Very high cool factor!

Ric Heinz

Post Number: 217
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 10:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OVER ENGINEERED!!! I hear it nearly every day.

You don't hear this term from the folks trapped in the earthquake rubble however.
Ric

Ric Heinz

Post Number: 218
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 10:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you drill a small hole to let the air out, it will just plug with grain during circulation of run-off.
Ric