Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2005 * Archive through April 25, 2005 * O'Fest < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

David Lewinnek
Username: Davelew

Post Number: 90
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 01:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll be in Munich this year for the first three days of Octoberfest (9/17, 9/18, 9/19, flying out the morning of 9/20). Do any Octoberfest veterans out there have any suggestions? Any tents I should visit or reserve now?

Garrett Shaw
Username: Gshaw

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 03:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can't suggest anything, but as a additional info: I've been planning on getting out there soon and was wondering, if you'd allow me, what kind of arrangements did you/do you have to make? What would an "average" trip to Munich for a week during Oktoberfest cost - assuming a moderately priced hotel/flight/etc.?

David Lewinnek
Username: Davelew

Post Number: 91
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 04:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The flight was about $600 from the east coast, which I felt was a really good deal. Orbitz & Travelocity wanted $700 or $800, Expedia came through with a cheap flight in Swissair. Flights are more expensive in July and August than in September.

I'll be hiking in Bavaria for a week before Oktoberfest (a pre-emptive strike on the calories I intend to consume), so I splurged a bit on the hotel, $250 per night for the room, shared between two people ($125 per person per night). You could go cheaper if you wanted. The hotels seem to fill up fast for Oktoberfest, you need to reserve about 6 months in advance.

The last time I was in Germany, entrance to museums, castles, etc. seemed to either be free or over $20, so you'd probably want to budget a decent amount of money for entrance fees.

Jim Keaveney
Advanced Member
Username: Jimkeaveney

Post Number: 630
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 04:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.oktoberfest.de/en/index.php
which you probably already visited has info on tents etc. i think you need 10 persons to book a table, no?

We were there in 2003 and willbe again this year but not until 9/26. Personally, I like the Augustiner tent the most which is favored by the locals. We had great weather last time and sat outside. We asked a waitress to find us a spot and she squeezed us in to one of the long picnic tables. the people at our table were all germans (mostly bavarians) and we had a great time with them. in fact, we made friends and we are staying with some of them this year in munich and others in the dusseldorf area.

you will be there at a very busy time (opening weekend) so it will be packed. get there early each day. you will probably want to hang onto a spot for dear life when you get one. on monday it should be a little less crowded and you can roam around to more tents. we go during the week since it is a little less crowded. we stopped in most of the big tents and a couple of small ones. i think the descriptions of the tents on the website above are pretty accurate. also, near the augusiner tent is a smaller beer garten which seems to always have seating during the day. it is not a place to really party but to have something good to eat and relax with a beer - sort of get away from the madness for a bit. prost!

Jeffery Swearengin
Advanced Member
Username: Beertracker

Post Number: 722
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 04:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recommend the Augustiner Bräu Festhalle or the Hacker-Festzelt during the day and either the Armbrustschützenzelt or the Löwenbräu tent at night. PROST!
CHEERS! Beertracker

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world." ~ Saint Arnold of Metz (580-640) - Patron Saint of Brewers

GILBY
Username: Cugilby

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 11:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ditto Augustiner Braeu (nice touch with the umlaut Jeffery) and Hacker...the Hacker Festzelt is generally very crazy by early afternoon.

Munich weather has a huge effect on crowd turnout. Last time I was at O'fest (2003) it was sunny and about 75 F. At 10:00 a.m. every table inside and outside every tent was full. And they won't serve you beer unless you are sitting down....when we got back home to Stuttgart the news said something like an extra 50,000 people were there that day.

I'll also be there sometime between the 24th and 30th this year. We're staying in a suburb with a nice Gasthaus within crawling distance of the S-Bahn stop.

Jeffery Swearengin
Advanced Member
Username: Beertracker

Post Number: 723
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 05:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Danke schön!
CHEERS! Beertracker

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world." ~ Saint Arnold of Metz (580-640) - Patron Saint of Brewers

Kenny Reed
Username: Ken

Post Number: 109
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 01:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ich bin eifersüchtig!

Hophead
Username: Hophead

Post Number: 1408
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 03:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, I give up, how do you get the 2 little dots above the letter?!? I'm 50% German, you'd think I would know this kind of thing..

Merle
Username: Merle

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 05:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

google alt codes

michael atkins
Username: Mga

Post Number: 158
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 08:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And -- What do those two little dot's mean?

P.S. I have been to Oktoberfest - "Oumph Pa, bands" and big ladies with bier steins. It's a great time. It's been over 30 years so can't give advise on what tents etc.
Love This Hobby!

Graham Cox
Username: T2driver

Post Number: 107
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 09:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you're using XP:

Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Character Map

GILBY
Username: Cugilby

Post Number: 34
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 10:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bitte schön. Eiersüchtig? haha. I was unaware there was such a large number of German speaking homebrewers.

To answer the question, though, German has a few extra letters in its alphabet: ä is ae, ö is oe,ü is ue, and ß is ss or sz.

Jon Tupper
Username: Jon_up_north

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 10:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My lord could I use a beer right now. Stressful day at work, but until my next batch is ready, I'll have to wait another hour befor treading to the pub for a pint of Big Rock Brewery's Honey Brown Ale.

Y'guys are killing me, you know that.

michael atkins
Username: Mga

Post Number: 162
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 11:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Gilby -- You must be some kind of "linquistic genious".
Love This Hobby!