Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2005 * Archive through June 27, 2005 * "Real" Taps < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Mike Huss
Advanced Member
Username: Mikhu

Post Number: 711
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 08:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm getting mighty frustrated with having my beer fridge kick in every time I open the door to pour a beer via the cobra taps now that it's warm out. I'm ready to get some "real" beer taps and mount them in the door. I know someone JUST started a thread about this, but I'll be damned if I can find it, so I'm starting another one.

Am I correct in thinking for each tap I need:

a faucet
a knob
a nipple shank,
and
one wrench for all

Am I missing anything?

If I get a faucet, a knob, and a nipple shank from Superior I'm looking at about $25 per tap. Does that seem about right, or am I missing a complete package deal somewhere?

*edited to correct links*

(Message edited by mikhu on June 16, 2005)

George Schmidt
Advanced Member
Username: Gschmidt

Post Number: 537
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 08:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's it. But I really recommend you spend the extra ten bucks for the perlick. It's worth it without a doubt. People may argue over whether perlick is better than ventamatic, but nobody argues whether either is better than a standard faucet.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors -- and miss. ~~Robert A. Heinlein: The Notebooks of Lazarus Long

Joseph Listan
Advanced Member
Username: Poonstab

Post Number: 710
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 08:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nope. That price is about right.

However you are forgetting gas and beer line.

Dan Listermann
Username: Listermann

Post Number: 1165
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 08:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the hosebarb, washer and shank nut come with the shank?

Dan
Listermann Mfg.,Co. www.listermann.com

Paul Erbe
Intermediate Member
Username: Perbe

Post Number: 255
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 09:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I love it when you guys use nipple, knob and shank all in the same post.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least, you need a beer."
-- Frank Zappa

Mike Huss
Advanced Member

Post Number: 712
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 09:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry about the links, I tried to cheat on the url but it didn't work, they should all be good links now.

Thanks for the tip George, I'll look into them. I don't know squat about the different faucets.

Joseph, I have tons of line already for my cobra taps.

Dan, yeah, that's why I picked the nipple shank. It comes with the barb molded into it so I wouldn't have to get a tailpiece. It also has the flanged nut and wall flange all as a part of it.

Chris Vejnovich
Username: Cjv85vmax

Post Number: 119
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 09:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Paul, they only missed shaft and nut.

Mike Huss
Advanced Member

Post Number: 713
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 09:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Connie
Intermediate Member
Username: Connie

Post Number: 411
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 09:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought my stuff at Superior here in Atlanta (Dennis is the beer guy there)I bought (three) eight inch shafts to expose more metal to the cold air inside the fridge/freezer. Yeah, with the eight inch shafts you will have to buy the tail piece and nut...just recently changed over to the Perlick facets and they're nice. I second George, go with the Perlicks.
You'll notice the beer line should be 3/16 and the gas lines are very heavy duty. You'll have to balance the beer lines for serving pressure, but you'll get into that as you go along.

Brian Crain
Username: Bcrain

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 04:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike- I would strongly recommend a foward sealing faucet such as Perlick or Ventmatic. The extra money will save time in cleaning and that first pint you pull from time to time will be far less likely to taste funny. Make you sure you leave room to add a tap or two more for future additions.

Mike Huss
Advanced Member

Post Number: 715
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 01:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You guys are killing me! First it started out with $10 extra/tap for Perlicks. Then Connie suggests 8" shafts (huh huh) to help keep them cooler, that's another $10/each. Now instead of $25/tap, I'm rapidly approaching $50. I'm looking at almost $200 just for four taps in the door of my beer fridge? This ain't gonna fly with SWMBO....

Vance Barnes
Username: Vancebarnes

Post Number: 1717
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 01:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I sure wish I'd gone with the Perlick or VentaMatic taps and SS shanks originally. Now I'm looking at trashing everything I have and spending $100/tap and shank.

Connie
Intermediate Member
Username: Connie

Post Number: 413
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 03:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Mike,
Buy the best the first time and you don't have to replace later on...I know it's expensive, but it's SS

Brian Crain
Username: Bcrain

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 05:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike- To lower your cost maybe you should do what I did a install just 2 high quality taps and wait awhile before you purchase and install the other 2. This way you sort of spread out the expense and its easier to sneek it by the wife. Just don't forget to leave the space for them.

I recommend buying quality products as well, you'll regret it down the line otherwise.

George Schmidt
Advanced Member

Post Number: 538
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 07:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It sounds like you have a regular, upright beer fridge. If so, I recommend you do not get the 8" shanks because they will stick too far into the fridge compartment and might interfere with putting kegs in there. This isn't a problem for chest freezer kegerators because the shanks run parallel to the top. But upright taps go through the door and 8" shanks will stick half way into the fridge. My shanks are 4" and this pic will give you an idea how far in they stick. If I had 8" shanks, I couldn't fit the front two cornies.

Like Brian, Connie, and Vance, I think the faucets are one of those areas where quality from the start makes a big difference. I'm generally very cheap, too, but the perlicks really are worth the extra money.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors -- and miss. ~~Robert A. Heinlein: The Notebooks of Lazarus Long

Geoff Buschur
Advanced Member
Username: Avmech

Post Number: 797
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 07:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is that Bud Lite and Miller Lite in that fridge?

ELK
Username: Elkski

Post Number: 1093
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 09:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whats the hard cider??? And my fridge has a few BMC for that crowd so I don't waste the good hoppy stuff..I need to do the tap thing also...

George Schmidt
Advanced Member

Post Number: 540
Posted on Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 04:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That was right after our Christmas party and people brought that beer with them.

The hard cider was great. It's gone now.

Joseph Listan
Advanced Member
Username: Poonstab

Post Number: 711
Posted on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 06:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Perlick faucet: $25
Nipple shank: $12
Black weenie knob: $2
Pulling your very own beer from your very own faucet in your very own home: "priceless" (but actually it's just $39 plus shipping).

www.superprod.com (NAYYY)