Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2005 * Archive through July 15, 2005 * From Soda keg to Sankey - What do I need to know? < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Craig Henry
Intermediate Member
Username: Sail

Post Number: 264
Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 02:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have acquired a sankey keg. I like the idea of having this as a larger option to my soda kegs. I guess I can say goodbye to my quick disconnects for this keg set up. I have a coupler being shipped my way. I found the instructions for removing the ball valve for cleaning and filling (assuming this is the best method.)

How do you set up your sankey kegs?
How does this closed system differ from the soda keg?
What is the best cleaning method without buying a system?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated - Thanks!

Craig Henry
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 265
Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 09:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it something I said? Poor topic of choice?

I think I found the information I needed about how to disassemble the valve but I am still curious about how you keep these set up at home.

(Message edited by sail on June 27, 2005)

Merle
Username: Merle

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 12:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Me thinks it is very few people here store their beer in sankeys.

I could be wrong!

Heath
Username: Frizedo

Post Number: 210
Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 01:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are many parts to disasemble in the shaft of the sankey. The ball part is very hard to clean. Essentially there a liquid out and pressure/gas in. Most of us have used the pump mechanism to deliver pressure for serving. This part can be removed a barb can be put in its place for the co2, as well as the liquid out portion. Make sure you completely disasemble and clean each use. Personally they are much more difficult that a ball lock, so I usualy use them for big beer storage. I would recomend the same.

Heath

Dan Listermann
Username: Listermann

Post Number: 1188
Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 01:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have taken a different approach to using the Sankeys as is. I took the spear out and use two inch tri-clover fittings to make my own tap system. It works very well and cleaning is not such a challange.

Dan Listermann
Listermann Mfg.,Co. www.listermann.com

Craig Henry
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 266
Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 04:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok I'll bite... Tri-clover fittings?

Dan Listermann

Post Number: 1190
Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 12:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tri-Clover fittings are used all over the brewing and food processing industries. They are based on a two pieces of grooved crescent shaped parts that are hinged and can be squeezed together with a large thumb screw. They pull together the two parts you want to connect by simple flanges around the edge of the parts. Their major advantage is that they are very easy to clean. I am sure that you have seen them around, they are very common.

Dan

Roger Herpst
Username: Roger456

Post Number: 196
Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 04:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is a picture of a clover clamp.

http://www.morebeer.com/product_images/1/3740.jpg

Craig Henry
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 267
Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 04:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dan, You have me more curious. Can you elaborate on how you modified your sankey to take these fittings?

Thanks for the pic Roger!

davidw
Username: Davidw

Post Number: 1194
Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 05:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's a couple options from Sabco:

http://www.kegs.com/spuseve.html

Pricey? Yes. But will last forever.

Dan Listermann

Post Number: 1192
Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 06:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Craig, the only modification I made to the kegs were to remove the spear. 2" clamps and fittings work just fine on the kegs existing flange. For a tap, I just took an end cap that was drilled and tapped for 1/2" NPT and made a copper fitting that I can hook up to CO2 and a dip tube and faucet. I put quick disconnects on the hoses so I can remove the faucet or the CO2.

I am kegging two half barrels worth of cream ale for the Listermann Family Independence Day party today.

Dan

Connie
Intermediate Member
Username: Connie

Post Number: 422
Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 07:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dan, At the risk of causing a problem with the "commercial police" is this hardware available in your catalog?

Dan Listermann

Post Number: 1196
Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 07:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We would not want to disturb the purists, now would we?

No, I don't stock or sell the parts to convert a Sankey. It is something I did to allow me to use the bigger kegs. The parts, at least my source, are rather expensive. I can't recall any details at the moment.

A little voice in my head that sounds like Curly Joe says,"Stop selling!"

Dan

Heath

Post Number: 211
Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 08:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I like Dans idea, think I might covert the two kegs I have. Gonna have to wait awhile they're both filled with RIS. Think Ill blow through one this fourth...

Heath

Hophead
Username: Hophead

Post Number: 1579
Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 08:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

RIS = Russian Imperial Stout?

Just put a sanke of Ruination in my freezer, and it screws up my usual arrangement of cornies and carboys!!! The sacrifices we make...

Craig Henry
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 268
Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 08:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Again, I am curious to see how you rigged this beast. Sounds like a cool idea. Got any pics?

Was it the tri-clover fitting that blew your margin?

Dan Listermann

Post Number: 1197
Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 08:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try this:http://www.photodump.com/viewer/listermann/P6280005527.html

The clamp is fairly inexpensive. The one sided seal ring and the drilled and tapped end cap are expensive. The other parts are modified off the shelf.

Dan

Heath

Post Number: 212
Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 09:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ive also seen people add balllock fiting wich where installed by drilling and bolts. This could be good but again the cleaning and access to it.

Good pic Dan, Ill work with the idea see what I can do for my setup.

Yeah hophead russian imperial, I went crazy and brewed 30 gallons of it a year ago, that was fun..

Heath

Joe Rovito
Username: Joez8

Post Number: 156
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 03:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can buy and/or make a TC cap with a ball lock fitting machined or welded on. When you install a dip tube, you get a liquid out. I built something similar as a racking port for my fermenter. That said, it still doesn't get you a gas in, unless you can cram two fitting in one cap. Or braze a barb or 1/4" nipple to use as a gas in. Dan's homemade fitting is pretty cool.

There's lots of used TC stuff on ebay.
And weird TC stuff here: http://parts.jvnw.com/index.html
Normal TC stuff here: http://www.jschmidtstainless.com/Products/sani.htm

dave star
Username: Dave_star

Post Number: 61
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 02:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://hbd.org/discus/messages/26895/30322.html
this has all the info you need
Dave

Craig Henry
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 269
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 06:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dave - I am curious about your cleaning process. Why do this upside down? What do you mean by modified coupler?

Mike A.
Username: Mike_a

Post Number: 86
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 07:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's another old thread on the topic.
rec.crafts.brewing

dave star
Username: Dave_star

Post Number: 62
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 07:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I turn the keg upside down so I donít have to make 15.5 gal NaOH I use about 2 gal and so that the cleaner will flow out of the CO2 port on a sankey coupler witch I have removed all the check valves from. To remove the check valve from the CO2 inlet remove the swivel nut and pull the cone shaped seal from the body of the coupler and leave the nut off. Now for the beer out side there are a few different stiles of check valves one is a pressed retainer that you just have to pull out then remove the ball and reattach the nut and a line. The other stile that Iíve run into is where the ball is held in by a threaded piece just unscrew and reassemble with out the ball.
To clean the sankey valve itís just a mater removing the valve and pushing the spear against a table and turning the retainer to release it then pry out the rubber seal and clean of course theirs no real reason to do this but itís not hard to do.
I hope this helps,
Dave