Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2005 * Archive through July 15, 2005 * Fly sparging < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Richard Nye
Advanced Member
Username: Yeasty_boy

Post Number: 802
Posted on Monday, July 04, 2005 - 05:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just did a batch of Skots Genesee My Butt and did a hands off fly sparge with a peristaltic pump. It worked great, but I was sparging at about 1/2 qt/min and I think that was too slow. It took forever to gather 13 gal for an 11 gal batch. Also, the final runnings were about 1.008, probably too low. My efficiency was a whopping 90% in the fermenter!

What is the best rate for fly sparging?? Hold back those comments about how I should be batch sparging. I recirculated throughout the mash and my runnings were crystal clear (like a pilsner). I could never get a clear wort batch sparging.

Oh, another 5.2 data point. Didn't work for me. I added 2 tbs in the mash and it had no effect on the mash pH. I did have to add 9ml of lactic acid to lower the pH from 5.5 to 5.2. I think that was a big contributor to the 90% efficiency.

Rob Beck
Username: Robbeck

Post Number: 189
Posted on Monday, July 04, 2005 - 07:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I fly sparge and it usually takes anywhere from 45 min. to 60 min. to collect about 8 gal. in the kettle. I've read (Noonan) and heard that a slow sparge will yield a better efficiency.

Belly Buster Bob
Username: Canman

Post Number: 2385
Posted on Monday, July 04, 2005 - 08:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I used to always fly sparge and wish I still could...new system design prohibits.....I sped mine up quite a bit over a few batches and near doubled the speed without any ill effects. Keep lowering the time over several batches until you have a drop in eficiency then you're dialed in
Bellybuster Bob
www.bellybuster.netfirms.com