Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2005 * Archive through August 01, 2005 * RyeIPA kudos to Denny! < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Water treatment?Samuel Wall07-15-05  05:31 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Mike Huss
Advanced Member
Username: Mikhu

Post Number: 725
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 12:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know it's been said a million times, but I just had to give props to Denny as well. Kegged it last Friday, carb'd over the weekend, tasted kinda funky on each sample over the weekend. Turns out it was just not properly carb'd, because it's delicious tonight! I think I'll have to brew it again soon because this isn't going to last long. This one has a little extra kick because I kinda forgot about/neglected it and it was in the secondary dryhopping for over a month. Nice!

Peter Roman
Advanced Member
Username: Lilbordr

Post Number: 748
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 05:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think I'm going to have to brew this stuff next time. It was the big brew recipe, the man invented the sparge method that allowed single tier/pump systems such as mine to exist. Definetly a visionary that Denny C...

Cheers,
Peter 'the kid' Roman

Denny Conn
Username: Denny

Post Number: 4841
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 05:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey, Mike, so glad ya liked it...

Peter, some would say that it's more hallucinatory than visionary... BTW, I want to make it really clear I did NOT invent batch sparging. I learned about it from George Fix, Ken Schwartz, and Bob Regent...credit where credit is due. What I did was take a bunch of different ideas, put them together into a system, and spend way too much time talking it up...
LIfe begins at 60...1.060, that is.

Chumley
Username: Chumley

Post Number: 3400
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 05:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've got mine aging in the secondary with the columbus hops, waiting for the right moment to arrive...(when the three other tapped kegs go phssssttt!!!!)

I have to thank Denny for the tip on the CL50 yeast...I brewed my standard APA recipe as a starter for the Rye IPA, and it came out perfect. After I racked the Rye IPA, I had to save the slurry, knowing what a PITA it is to get a hold of it...thanks Denny!

(still waiting for that BBA recipe...)

Denny Conn

Post Number: 4843
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 07:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

CL50 ROCKS!

BBA recipe has just been sent!

hbadvocate
Username: Hbadvocate

Post Number: 53
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 10:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Denny,

I have to agree with everyone else, the rye ipa is incredible! It's definitly gonna be one of the next beers i brew. I have bottles of it that i brewed nearly a year ago and almost 3 years ago, and it's amazing how good it still is. :-)

Miker
Username: Miker

Post Number: 228
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 02:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My RyeIPA tastes great (thanks, Denny), but it has still not cleared, even though its been in the keg since 3 weeks after Big Brew day. Tapped it June 25th and then was gone for a week after that, so its been sitting nice and still.

I'm wondering if it could be because I racked it on top of another yeast cake. I've only done this a few times, but I have had two or three beers that didn't clear too well. I'll have to check my notes to see if these were all pitched onto a previous yeast cake.

Denny Conn

Post Number: 4844
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 04:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike, what kind of yeast did you use? I often use yeast cakes of 1056 or CL50 and it always clears up for me. I realize that's not much help....

Miker

Post Number: 229
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 02:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

it was a 1056 yeast cake

Got home late and didn't get time to check my other notes yet. Funny though, I did find time to have a quick pint of rye ipa before retiring. mmmm

Richard Nye
Advanced Member
Username: Yeasty_boy

Post Number: 811
Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 04:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm brewing an APA with CL-50 so I can have a buttload of yeast for a batch of DCRIPA. The only question is, should it be 5 gallons or 10?? How does DCRIPA store? I may not get to the second keg for a few months.

hbadvocate
Username: Hbadvocate

Post Number: 59
Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 06:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Richard,

Read my post, i have some DCRIPA from a looonnngg time ago (3 years) that tastes fantastic, mellow but great. Also i have 1 year old bottles that are still great too :-) What happened is both these bottles ened up in a bottling rack that got hidden behind other equipment after i started kegging. After a hiatus from brewing, i found the rack with alot of my old recipes and am pleased to say that i am enjoying having being so patiet :-)

Miker

Post Number: 231
Posted on Monday, July 18, 2005 - 03:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Finally got around to looking at my notes. I had an american red ale brewed with 1056 that was crystal clear. Onto that yeast cake I racked a Fat Tire clone that did not clear well. Onto this yeast cake I later racked the Rye IPA which has still not cleared after many weeks (and is almost empty). In between I also brewed a cream ale with a fresh yeast tube (I think it was a European Ale yeast) and this cleared perfectly.

So, maybe there was just something funky about that one yeast lineage (although all taste and smell fine) or else there is something about re-using a yeast cake in general. It makes me hesitant to try this again. Anyone else experience clearing problems when racking to a previous brew's yeast cake?

Denny Conn

Post Number: 4849
Posted on Monday, July 18, 2005 - 04:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Miker, I think you have some specific problem, rather than a general reuse issue. I know that I don't have clearing problems due to yeast reuse. was it primary or secondary yeast? Although I've never really noticed a difference, there's a school of thought that secondary yeast is less flocculent.

Miker

Post Number: 234
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 02:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It was primary yeast. I think you're right that it was just an isolated problem. I'll just keep it as a data point and try the same procedure with another two brews to see what happens. I promised to brew the red ale for another wedding, so I'll pitch another brew onto that yeast cake and see how they both clear. Thanks.

Chumley
Username: Chumley

Post Number: 3424
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 03:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

FWIW, I have had just the opposite problem with 1056 - a couple of times the first batch I brewed took a couple of months for it to finally clear, whereas subsequent batches using the yeast cake from the first have cleared up fine. I recall a batch of ale I brewed a couple of years ago that was primaried, secondaried, kegged, and drained before the original batch had finished clearing in the secondary!

Bill Aimonetti
Intermediate Member
Username: Zuchinnicat

Post Number: 378
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 05:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Miker,
Just a guess but the clearing issue could be related to dry hopping. I have a much harder time getting heavily dry hopped beers to clear. The hops throw a tannin haze that seems to take a long time to drop out compared to other batches that wern't dry hopped.

Denny Conn

Post Number: 4850
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 06:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bill, you have a valid point but I have a heavily dry hopped (both the secondary and keg, 1 oz. Columbus each) batch on tap now that's crystal clear after 4 weeks in the fridge. So it IS possible and likely that it will clear unless there's another problem.

Brother Joe
Username: Brother_joe

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 04:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I second (maybe we're beyond second...) those props to Denny. I've seen pics, and his head isn't all puffy and out of proportion, so, this must be a good sign.

I'm on my 3rd batch of the year.

I'm brewing a batch right now. Have a nice Wy1272 starter waiting in the wings. I haven't gotton around to trying to obtain some CL50, as I've got slants of 1272 to keep me in beer for quite a while now. Nobody in my local club has any of the BrewTek yeasts. One of these days I'm going to have to give it a try.

It's my 30th birthday, and I gave The Man the finger for today and took the day off.

Wife at work, child at daycare. I'm just sittin here. Doing nothing.

I understand why my dad used to disappear to clean the garage....

Denny Conn

Post Number: 4854
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 05:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey, Bro Joe, glad ya like it and Happy Birthday!

davidw
Username: Davidw

Post Number: 1201
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 05:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hell, Joe, I'd say a trip to the IC Public House (formerly Fitzpatties) is in order! I'll be there at 5:05PM and would buy you a beer!

David Lewinnek
Username: Davelew

Post Number: 164
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 11:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd just like to add my Rye IPA story to the collection.

My company had a huge layoff (25% of engineering) this past week. Everyone knew it was coming, and morale was, well, subterranean. Before the layoff, I invited the three guys who work for me to my place for barbecue and beers as thanks for working at a time when work just sucked. I slow cooked the butt end of a ham, and basted/flamed it with a southern comfort sauce.

I was serving various homebrews while the guys were watching the marinade burst into flames on my grill, when the Polish engineer started telling stories of school trips he took from Krakow in college in the 1960s, including one trip to a brewery. There was one word he didn't know in English, so he kept saying "beer herbs" as in "you could bury your whole face in beer herbs and just smell them". I was pretty sure he was talking about hops, but I didn't have a polish-english dictionary handy.

Now, I don't keep a lot of brewing supplies on hand, since I live 5 blocks from the LHBS, but I did have some old cascade hops in the freezer. I brought those out for Janusz to sniff, but he said they didn't smell quite like the beer herbs he remembered.

Then I handed him a DC Rye IPA, he tasted it and said, "Oh yeah. This is beer herbs." One of my other employees took a sip and said, "wow, that's a bit too intense for me."

I'm not sure which was the bigger compliment to DC Rye IPA.

Denny Conn

Post Number: 4867
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 07:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beer herbs...I love it!

Richard Nye
Advanced Member

Post Number: 828
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 07:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I brewed 11 gal of DCRIPA last Sunday. Ended up at 1.078 (just a wee over the target). Everything went great. I split the wort into two equal fermenters and pitched a full quart of CL-50 yeast slurry from a prior batch of APA. After 3 hours the fermenters cooled to 63F and I was getting the start of a strong fermentation. I added 11 drops of B3's foam control, oxygenated a 2nd time, and the rocket took off. Even with the foam control the stuff jumped out of one of the fermenters. Can't wait to taste it!

Denny Conn

Post Number: 4869
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 08:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Richard, yer makin' me thirsty! That CL-50 is some great yeast, huh?

Richard Nye
Advanced Member

Post Number: 830
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 03:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well Denny, I don't really know yet. I made my ol' standby APA with it and just tasted it out of the primary. Tasted a little smoother than US56 (which was in the other primary - same recipe). But I liked the way it cleared and the taste so far.

Denny, I made the famed DCRIPA before, but I screwed up the hop additions and used the alternate yeast (which left the gravity pretty high). I wasn't impressed, but it was my fault. This batch was flawless and I'm looking forward to drinking 10 gallons of it shortly!