Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2005 * Archive through August 01, 2005 * Grain disposal for city dwellers? < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Stephen Manchester
Username: Smanches

Post Number: 165
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 02:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For those of you that can't have compost heaps, how do you dispose of your grain? I tried the yard refuse bin, but the grain really starts to stink badly when it starts to rot. Not to mention being wet sticks to the bin badly.

I could just throw it away, but there is so much of it, and you're not supposed to dispose of that much organic material in the regular garbage.

Any other ideas?

Scott Manning
Username: Liquidbreaddiet

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 02:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not sure if you have flower beds or a small lawn -but I spread the grain throughout my very small garden. It seems to help out and no need for a compost pile.

Dave Witt
Advanced Member
Username: Davew

Post Number: 781
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 02:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just throw it in the regular garbage. It's not yard waste, it's food waste. You don't throw your potato peels and steak bones in the yard waste, do you?

Patrick C.
Intermediate Member
Username: Patrickc

Post Number: 367
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 03:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Garbage disposal, if you've got plenty of time to kill.
For a five gallon batch I'd just throw it in the regular trash. Try to drain off as much liquid as possible and tie up the bag you put it in.

Marc Sintek
Username: Msintek

Post Number: 32
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 03:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Large black plastic bag and the trash is where I used to put it. Some places might require a little stealth activity so the man does not see you!

George Schmidt
Advanced Member
Username: Gschmidt

Post Number: 574
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 05:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've always put it in the trash. But this week, we've had temps high enough to put my garage into the high 90's. WHEW! did that grain stink! I'm going to have to find somewhere else to put it, because my trash day is Friday and I invariably brew on Saturday or Sunday.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors -- and miss. ~~Robert A. Heinlein: The Notebooks of Lazarus Long

Tim Polster
Username: Bassman

Post Number: 113
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 06:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I purchased some cheap lawn garbage bags.

I first drain as much liquid as possible from the mash.

I put three bags together and place them over the top of my Ice Cube mash cooler.

I just turn turn the cooler over and twist the bag shut with a twisty.

Then out to the garbage.

Darel Matthews
Username: Darel

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 09:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Three words: Spent Grain Bread! It's awesome!

Kevin Davis
Intermediate Member
Username: Ktdavis98

Post Number: 304
Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2005 - 03:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with Scott, I scatter it, and till it into the garden.

Darel, I have heard of making bread from your spent grain, but I have not seen a recipe, Care to share?

Kevin

Stephen Manchester

Post Number: 166
Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2005 - 05:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Man, I could never eat that much bread.

I guess for today I'm just going to throw it in the trash. But I have the same problem Mr. Schmidt does in that garbage day is Friday. And boy does that grain stink when it's been sitting for a while.

Also found out maggots really like it too, when it's been sitting long enough.

Darel Matthews

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2005 - 05:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's kinda long. Here goes:

2 packets active dry bakers yeast
3/4 cup warm water (105 to 115)
1 3/4 cup warm milk (heat but do not boil)
4 tblsp brown sugar (packed)
4 tblsp honey
2 eggs
3 tblsp shortening
3 cups spent grain (packed)
5 to 7 cups self rising flour (if using all purpose flour, add 1 tblsp salt)
Dissolve yeast in warm water.
in large bowl, stir in milk, sugar, honey, eggs & dissolved yeast
Fold in the grain, 4 cups of flour & the shortening, mix well
Add flour 1 cup at a time & mix well until dough is easy to handle (about 5 cups)
Turn dough onto h.cntly floured surface
Knead until smooth & elastic (about 10 min)
Place in greased bowl; turn grease side up
Cover & let rise in warm place until double (about 1 hr)
Punch down dough & divide into halves
Work dough into 9X5 sizes & place in greased loaf pans
Brush lightly with butter/margarine
Let rise until double (about 1 hr)
Heat oven to 425
Place loaves on lower rack so that top of pans are in center of oven
Bake until loaves are deep golden brown & sound hollow when tapped
20 to 30 minutes
Immediately remove from pans
Brush top of loaves with butter/marg.

This actually made really great bread. The grain is noticeable no matter what you use but with a complex, flavorful recipe like a stout it really shines. I recommend checking it for doneness, I have had a couple loaves that weren't done in the middle.

Darel

Brandon Dachel
Username: Brandon

Post Number: 1586
Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2005 - 06:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can't imagine spent grain adding anything other than texture to bread. And it seems like 20 lbs of spent grain would be more than I'd ever use in a lieftime.

Connie
Intermediate Member
Username: Connie

Post Number: 438
Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2005 - 08:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

at three cups a loaf, maybe two lifetimes or at least it would seem that way

dave star
Username: Dave_star

Post Number: 66
Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2005 - 08:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I live out in the country so I just let the deer eat them. I guess that in the city you could let the rats eat your grains.
But seriously I am with Dave Witt, throw them in the trash.
Dave

David Lewinnek
Username: Davelew

Post Number: 162
Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2005 - 09:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know of at least one brewery that uses spent grains in bread like Darel suggests:

http://www.andechs.com/englisch/essen/lizenzprodukte/andechser_brot.html

Wayne Faris
Username: Bugeaterbrewing

Post Number: 212
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 02:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Feeding it to the deer....sounds like an idea. I think I will start dumping mine out near my treestand. Archery season starts up in 5 weeks here in Nebraska.

Wayne

Kevin Davis
Intermediate Member
Username: Ktdavis98

Post Number: 306
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 01:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Darel, I will give this a try, but I have to agree with Brandon, and Connie, that would be a lot of bread. The deer idea sounds pretty good, but you better hope they get to it before it starts stinking, or you won't be able to sit in your stand, but you won't need any cover scent .
Kevin

Darel Matthews

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 03:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was being a little facetious...I didn't actually expect someone to use up ALL their grain in bread.

I would recommend NOT putting it down the garbage disposal...found that one out the hard way a few years back...

Darel

Tom Meier
Intermediate Member
Username: Brewdawg96

Post Number: 286
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 06:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

luckily we have those trash cans that get picked up by a mechanical arm, because I can barely roll the thing out there if I have a long brewing weekend with guest brewers

PalerThanAle
Username: Palerthanale

Post Number: 1413
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 07:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My garbage pickup is on Friday also, when (IF!!) I get to brew, I place the spent grains in a heavy duty garbage bag and let it cool over night then place in the freezer. Then on Thursday night or Friday Morning (Usually 2-3 weeks later 'cuz I keep forgetting) throw in the garbage.

If you don't have a big freezer, divide it up and place in 1 gallon zip-lock bags, put them on the curb with a "Free Bird Seed" sign.

PTA
If all else fails, stop trying all else.

tim roth
Intermediate Member
Username: Hopdude

Post Number: 255
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 12:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Due to a recent visit, I am happy to report;
PTA does not have Bill Pierce in his freezer, or any spent grain ;>(
cheers, tim

Stephen Manchester

Post Number: 168
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 12:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ROFL!!

That is a good idea PTA. I don't have a big freezer, but it might hold some of it.

Nick Zeigler
Username: Ziggy

Post Number: 137
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 03:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Spent grain is an excellent medium for growing mushrooms. All you have to do is pressure cook it with a bit of nutrient, drain it and pack it into bales of some sort (I mix it with a bit of pressure cooked straw and pack it into black plastic garbage bags), innoculate it with mushroom spores or mycelium (you can buy starter kits on the 'net or get spores from the bottom of portobello, porcini, cepes, blewits or white button) and put it in a dark spot @ 70F for two weeks and then give it a bit of indirect light and you'll have some excellent homebrewed gourmet mushrooms!

Vance Barnes
Username: Vancebarnes

Post Number: 1774
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 03:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe that's why the chanterrels just grew so profusely right below where I dump my spent grains.

Nick Zeigler
Username: Ziggy

Post Number: 138
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 04:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Words cannot describe the jealousy of wild chantrelles in your yard...

Doug Pescatore
Username: Doug_p

Post Number: 1480
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 04:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Walk to edge of property, tip over cooler, shake, and return to house. Wait 3 days and watch the crime scene van pull up for a couple of minutes before heading out.

-Doug

Vance Barnes
Username: Vancebarnes

Post Number: 1777
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 09:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, they just grow after all the rain we've had. I picked a basket full weekend before last and could have gotten more if I'd picked sooner. Many were too far gone. My wife made a frittata with them that we had at a pot luck dinner on Sat. Yummm!