Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2005 * Archive through September 07, 2005 * Good beer in a can < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Chumley
Username: Chumley

Post Number: 3583
Posted From: 71.37.187.47
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 08:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I went backpacking this weekend, and took two cans of beer with me. Both were made by Oskar Blues Brewery of Colorado. They were excellent! Dales Pale Ale had a nice hop flavor, but the winner was Old Chub, a wee heavy at 8% abv. The perfect beer to sip around the campfire while waiting for dinner to cook.

My buddy hauled up 12 cans of Olympia. For that effort, I'll haul up the Old Chub anyday.

Next year I'll have to brew some strong belgian or barley wine early in the season, force-carb it, and package in PET bottles to take to the high country.

Hophead
Username: Hophead

Post Number: 1738
Posted From: 167.4.1.38
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 08:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow, wonder if they can the Gordon?? (IIPA) I'd get that asap! Dales is OK, better than Olys for sure! Now, do aluminum bottles count?!

Vance Barnes
Username: Vancebarnes

Post Number: 1833
Posted From: 208.49.148.10
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 09:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just stocked up on Dale's for labor day cause the distibutor for it in ATL has gone belly up. Beer stores are saying it may be 5-6 months before a new distributor is carrying it.

So much easier traveling or camping with cans than bottles.

Miker
Intermediate Member
Username: Miker

Post Number: 266
Posted From: 67.1.153.8
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 09:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Those are the only 2 they can. I was real disappointed a couple of weeks ago when we went to the Folks Festival in Lyons (home of Oskar Blues) and the brewery didn't have the IIPA (at least not on tap like they did last year).

Dale's Pale in cans recently won the New York Times best beer (or maybe it was the best pale ale, I forget) in a blind taste-test. They claimed it was the freshest-tasting beer in the tests.

PaulK
Username: Paulk

Post Number: 215
Posted From: 68.32.217.23
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 09:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow. I guess traveling light was a priority with only two cans of beer. You did however make a good choice as Dale's offers some of the best canned offerings. I wish more micros would can.

Chumley

Post Number: 3584
Posted From: 71.37.187.47
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 10:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sine this board is about beer and brewing, I neglected to mention that I brought a fifth of Maker's Mark, repackaged in the Jim Beam lightweight traveler plastic bottle. :-)

tim roth
Intermediate Member
Username: Hopdude

Post Number: 292
Posted From: 69.179.5.88
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 10:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can't get Oly in wisconsin anymore. I guess Miller(who shouldn't be making it anyway) gave up on it. It used to be a decent beer. cheers, tim

michael atkins
Username: Mga

Post Number: 232
Posted From: 216.170.58.10
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 12:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The only Beer in a can that I like anymore is homebrew in my cans - i.e. "Cornelious Keg's"!
Love This Hobby!

Sand
Username: Sand

Post Number: 165
Posted From: 216.201.45.28
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 01:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have had a good koelsch that was in a can from japan. Not that it WAS a koelsch. It was klosh.

Doug Pescatore
Username: Doug_p

Post Number: 1567
Posted From: 68.64.185.27
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 01:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maker's Mark......I have some bad memories (or lack of memories) of that stuff. A buddy of mine bought 3 bottles of Johnny Walker as part of his hunkering down supplies for Katrina. He got red, black, and green. He did a side by side and was completely blown away by the differences from one to the other. He said green was so smooth it was like it wasn't even related to red or black.

-Doug

Paul Hayslett
Advanced Member
Username: Paulhayslett

Post Number: 828
Posted From: 64.252.42.235
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 02:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A guy in my brew club came back from Belgium with a whole bunch of Rodenbach in cans. That is canned beer I wouldn't mind carrying with me anywhere.

Tim Wi
Username: Riverkeeper

Post Number: 206
Posted From: 65.7.92.158
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 02:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I went backpacking this weekend, and took two cans of beer with me. Both were made by Oskar Blues Brewery of Colorado. They were excellent!

I was on a backpack trip in Nevada once. I can't remember what we were eating one night after a really hard day, but I'll never forget how good it tasted. I've never had either of those beers you mention, but I gotta wonder if you would have liked them half as much if you had them first in the realm of flatlanders?

Hunger makes the best seasoning.

Chumley, if you like Makers Mark you should try George Dickel. My preference is for Dickel.

How was the trout fishing?

Tim

Chumley

Post Number: 3586
Posted From: 207.225.3.167
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 03:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fishing was fair...the lake I was at had a wide variety of sized-fish, indicating that the lake is real healthy and trout are able to reproduce...the lake had rainbows, cutthroats, and cutbows (the hybrid). My buddies did real well fishing with spinners, but they caught mostly the smaller ones, with a few 16 inchers in there. I caught only four, but they were all 16 inch or so rainbows. I caught mine on live grasshoppers, no. 8 hook, and a casting bobber. Filleted them up, dredged them in a cornmeal/cajon seasoning mix, and fried them up. Best damn trout I have ate in a long time.

Used to drink the Dickel (I like it a lot too(, but then they went belly up a few years ago. One of my buddies told the story that when Dickel was purchased, they had whiskey sitting in oak casks for 5 years since they closed the distillery. When they opened up again (said they were bought by Beam), they were selling the same whiskey, only this time it was 5 years older then the previous batch. Smooth as silk, my buddy claimed. I don't know if I buy that. :-)

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 3368
Posted From: 24.57.229.8
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 12:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Like Jack Daniel's, George Dickel is not strictly a bourbon, but a Tennessee whiskey. I used to drink it now and then. I would call it equal to JD black label. I slightly prefer Maker's Mark.

Geoff Buschur
Advanced Member
Username: Avmech

Post Number: 886
Posted From: 205.174.22.28
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 01:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"I'll haul up the Old Chub anyday"

"I've been drunk for 14 years...my judgment isn't what it used to be."

~Woody Harrelson as Roy Munson in Kingpin

Vance Barnes
Username: Vancebarnes

Post Number: 1835
Posted From: 208.49.148.10
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 02:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

but I gotta wonder if you would have liked them half as much if you had them first in the realm of flatlanders?

We sampled the Dales Pale at the last club meeting along with other pale ales. Most everyone there was blown away by the taste. I think I discovered them this past spring and have been taking them on every camping trip since. Although I did get one 12 pak box that had an empty can in it.

Guess it must have spewed before it got to the store.

Denny Conn
Username: Denny

Post Number: 5004
Posted From: 140.211.82.4
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 04:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When I'm looking for beer in a can, I head to Trader Joe's. You can get a 6 pack of 16 oz. cans of Henninger, a pretty decent German pils, for about $5. At that price, why drink crap?
LIfe begins at 60...1.060, that is.

Brad Petit
Username: Voodoobrew

Post Number: 19
Posted From: 70.240.71.103
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 08:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HeinerBrau is a new brewery in Covington, LA, that packages in cans. Their brewmaster used to work for Abita, and their kolsch is very good.

Tim Wi
Username: Riverkeeper

Post Number: 207
Posted From: 65.7.93.57
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 01:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Used to drink the Dickel (I like it a lot too(, but then they went belly up a few years ago. One of my buddies told the story that when Dickel was purchased, they had whiskey sitting in oak casks for 5 years since they closed the distillery. When they opened up again (said they were bought by Beam), they were selling the same whiskey, only this time it was 5 years older then the previous batch. Smooth as silk, my buddy claimed. I don't know if I buy that.

I might be misunderstanding you,... but yeah, they fired the distillery back up. When they did, I was told they had a 10 year inventory.

Funny thing about Jack Daniels. They have a vice president named Jim Beam. I saw that on their letterhead one day, and when I was talking to one of their employees, I asked about it. They didn't think it was as funny as I did.

Tim

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 3381
Posted From: 24.57.229.8
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 01:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not sure HeinerBrau is still there. Covington was in the direct path of Katrina.