Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2005 * Archive through September 22, 2005 * The cork < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Chumley
Username: Chumley

Post Number: 3627
Posted From: 71.37.188.229
Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 03:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The recent biere de garde thread has got me curious, so last night when I bottled my biere de garde, I corked two of them. I would have corked more, but it is a %$^&ing pain in the #$@ to get a cork into a 16.9 oz. beer bottle!

Question on storage - I am guessing to just store the corked bottles on their sides, or would it be more authentic (and more representative of the style) to store them upright, and seal the cork with wax?

I would think this would be a good experiment for a homebrew club or such - a comparison between corked and uncorked biere de gardes to see what flavor differences might arise. In a year from now, I'd volunteer to send a couple to a tasting session if it would lead to a magazine article.

Everyone out there brewing biere de gardes - try corking a couple.

Guy C
Intermediate Member
Username: Ipaguy

Post Number: 318
Posted From: 24.6.136.251
Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 03:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Corked Saisons too. What type of bottle and cork did you use and what did you use to install it? I've heard it can be a little tricky to find a cork that stays sealed well over time. Russian River is using a cork that is specifically made for the 750's they bottle in.

Vance Barnes
Username: Vancebarnes

Post Number: 1840
Posted From: 208.49.148.10
Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 04:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found a post from Graham Saunders from several years ago on the hbd where he mentioned trying an experiment on "dry corking" a bdg. I never found any posts where he actually did it or posted results if he did. I tried emailing him but think the address from the post was old and never heard anything back.

Chumley

Post Number: 3628
Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 04:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I used the standard German beer bottle of 500 ml/16.9 oz., and used standard wine corks. I suppose I could have used wine bottles but I have always read that the glass is not made to withstand carbonation pressures. And belgian corked bottles won't work because of the big lip of the bottles won't let my little handcorker work.

Vance, yeah, Saunder's posts and lack of followup is what prompted me to start my own experiment, and to encourage others here to try the same. It just doesn't have to be biere de gardes as Guy suggests - most any Belgian style would be worth a comparison test. Its just that since the "mustiness/earthiness" of biere de gardes is postulated to come from the cork, I thought I'd test the hypothesis.

Guy C
Intermediate Member
Username: Ipaguy

Post Number: 319
Posted From: 24.6.136.251
Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 04:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just bottled some Saison in "sparkling wine" bottles with crown caps. These were the Korbel type that take a standard crown cap.

I recently discovered that you can get a 29mm bell housing for some of the more common hb cappers and use 29mm crown caps for European Champagne bottles and some of the Belgians. I was surprised I hadn't come across this before now.

Fred Bonjour
Username: Bonjour

Post Number: 19
Posted From: 12.15.7.70
Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 05:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you wire the corks in? My understanding is that if you carbonate, the pressure will "pop" the cork. Or is this not needed?

Fred
http://beerdujour.com/AwardWinningRecipes.htm

Chumley

Post Number: 3629
Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 07:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wiring is probably a good idea, although I haven't...although as hard as it was to shove them in, I doubt that they will pop.

I have about 40 bottles of mead in wine bottles in the basement, corked, and lying on their sides. I'd guess that over the years (I have been brewing mead for 12 years or so now), I've lost 3 bottles to popping corks. But the wine corks went in much easier in wine bottles than into beer bottles.

Vance Barnes
Username: Vancebarnes

Post Number: 1841
Posted From: 208.49.148.10
Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 09:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well I have a saison that's been in the fermentor more than a month and needs racking probably. Maybe I'll take a gravity reading tonight and see if it's done. I think I can either rent or borrow a corker from the lhbs and I do have some Belgian bottles that had the champagne corks and wickets.

Bernardo
Username: Bernardo

Post Number: 123
Posted From: 151.198.131.227
Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 09:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

IIRC, aren't the corked B's dG also capped on top of the cork? Unfortunately, the best beer store in my neighborhood has changed ownership, and so I can't get any commercial examples anymore. But, this is what I remember. Champagne bottles would work for this.

Chumley

Post Number: 3631
Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 10:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Excellent suggestion, Bernardo! I will slap some caps over my corks tonight - much easier than screwing around with wiring.

I too haven't seen a biere de garde for sale for at least 5 years ago. I hope to find some in a couple of weeks when I go to Portland.