Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2005 * Archive through September 22, 2005 * Costco Turkey Fryers < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Joshua Coman
Username: Crazyjae

Post Number: 91
Posted From: 24.5.121.216
Posted on Friday, September 16, 2005 - 05:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All,

Don't know how many people are interested in this, but I saw a stainless steel turkey fryer at Costco last night. It is $99.

It is manufactured by Nexgrill (the company licensed to manufacture Jen-Air) and I couldn't find a thing about it on the Costco website. I did a GIS and found nothing as well.

The pot was 32 quarts. It came with the "surf and turf" inserts for boiling crab, steaming mussels, etc...

The box lists the cast iron burner at 52,000 btus and the frame itself is stainless steel.

It was a very attractive set up and it was of surprisingly high quality -- considering the price. It actually looks a lot like the Bayou Classic S/S setup that retails for twice the price.

The pot was definately a lot higher quality that the Polarware that I have (I couldn't find a stamp on the bottom to see what grade metal it was).

I thought I'd post this just in case anyone is looking for a 32-quart boil pot with a burner. The guy at Costco said they are a seasonal item and will only be around for a couple of months.

Kenny Reed
Username: Ken

Post Number: 144
Posted From: 65.0.166.223
Posted on Friday, September 16, 2005 - 06:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sports Academy... about the same thing, the burner stand is heavy duty stainless & wide enuf for a 15 gal keggle, 150,000 btu's. IIRC

Jason Bentley
Username: Pacoustic

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 71.4.42.2
Posted on Friday, September 16, 2005 - 09:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been looking into a propane burner for some time, but I have a question regarding them. What output in BTUs is needed. I understand the more heat you can dish out the easier it will be to get a good boil and the faster. Right now I'm cooking on my kitchen stove, much to my wife's dismay.

Aaron Meyer
Username: Meyeaard

Post Number: 234
Posted From: 68.229.233.170
Posted on Friday, September 16, 2005 - 09:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you're after cheap the Academy sports stores carry an aluminum 35qt fryer for about 30$. They also carry some SS items.

I have one of the cheap 30$ fryers and have been very happy using it for my HLT. I also have an SS fryer from them with a similar burner for my boiler and have been happy with it as well.

Joshua Coman

Post Number: 92
Posted on Friday, September 16, 2005 - 10:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When I posted that, I meant to say that the pot and the burner frame were both stainless. The burner itself is cast iron, as I imagine most are.

Dave Witt
Advanced Member
Username: Davew

Post Number: 801
Posted From: 64.12.116.14
Posted on Friday, September 16, 2005 - 11:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Josh,

I have an all stainless (except the burner) turkey fryer I got at Sam's Club ($67). Came with a 34 qt pot and a 52k burner. Someone on this board has an entire brewery made from about 3 or 4 of these fryers. I found the burner to be sufficient for 5 gal batches, but it doesn't have the kick of the other Marrone burner I have. That one I picked up at Menards on sale for $19. Came with a 32 qt enamel pot that has lasted for half a dozen batches so far. (This is not my regular brewery).

Yes, it is definitely faster to bring your wort to a boil with a propane burner. 52k is sufficient, but 100k would be better (read "faster").

Kenny Reed
Username: Ken

Post Number: 145
Posted From: 65.0.166.223
Posted on Saturday, September 17, 2005 - 12:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jason... minimum 100k btu & that is on the low side of barely. To bring a 15gal keggle to a boil with 100kbtu takes forever.
IMHO... 150kbtu or more or your just spitting in the wind.

Miker
Intermediate Member
Username: Miker

Post Number: 281
Posted From: 69.15.183.207
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 03:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I purchased a stainless turkey fryer setup from Costco a few years ago with a 150,000 btu burner for about 1/2 the price (I think it was $60 on clearance) of the one you mention and although the pot doesn't seem to be of the highest quality metal (pretty thin) it has worked great for me. $99 just doesn't seem like an outstanding deal to me and I agree that the 52,000 btu's doesn't seem like enough.

Chris Bodley
Username: Cincichris

Post Number: 112
Posted From: 69.133.199.84
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 10:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My two cents would be to find a turkey fryer that has a big enough platform / base to support a sanke keg. Luckily, I had a friend who was willing to trade burners or I would've had to buy another one when I made the switch to larger batches.

-Chris

Catt22
Username: Catt22

Post Number: 160
Posted From: 72.49.92.41
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 04:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"The pot was definately a lot higher quality that the Polarware that I have."

Josh, I find that statement simply unbelievable. Polarware pots are some of the highest quality and I seriously doubt that a turkey fryer combo would include a pot of higher quality especially at that price.

Beware of the BTU claims for any of the propane cookers. They are frequently highly inflated IMO.

Joshua Coman

Post Number: 94
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 07:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually, I'd put the pot at about the same thickness and quality as my Calphalon kitchenware -- except it was stainless, not anodized aluminum.

That's the reason I mentioned that it was for sale at Costco for $99. The pot was worth more than that.

Craig Henry
Intermediate Member
Username: Sail

Post Number: 292
Posted From: 204.22.24.167
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 05:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just an FYI - I picked up one of those Sam's Club stainless Turkey fryers on clearance a few months back. (which I haven't used yet)

The first pot I got had pits in the bottom where the weld was. I returned to swop it out for another and it had clean welds. They also refunded $5 since the item was further reduced. It cost me $40. Can't beat that with a stick.

Clearance rocks!