Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2005 * Archive through September 22, 2005 * Yeast Abuse- O'fest to Belgian Golden? < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Patrick C.
Intermediate Member
Username: Patrickc

Post Number: 399
Posted From: 65.82.198.121
Posted on Friday, September 16, 2005 - 06:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I made a heavyweight Oktoberfest (all Vienna malt, OG 1.070, WLP 830) a few months ago, and at kegging time I had an extra gallon. Not sure how this happened, since the OG was higher than I expected too. Anyway, I didn't have room in the fridge so this extra beer was left in the garage for most of the summer. It went in the lagering fridge a few weeks ago after I made some space.
I tapped it last night and was shocked at the taste. The beer that had been left out at high temperatures was like a Strong Golden- very fuity, light bodied, and a noticeable alcohol warmth. The beer that was kept cold had no esters, no alcohol taste, and was much more malty and full bodied. I don't think it was contaminated with wild yeast, as the keg was previously filled with star-san.
This is probably something I'd never be able to duplicate- just amazed at how different the results were when the only changes were after primary fermentation was over.