Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2005 * Archive through September 22, 2005 * Biere de Garde update!!! < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Beerboy AKA The Jolly Brewer
Advanced Member
Username: Matfink

Post Number: 756
Posted From: 81.156.22.233
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 12:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

UDPATE: Right, I racked the BdG into secondary after 2 weeks in primary at about 55C. the gravity was at about 1.013 down from 1.064-5 giving me about 6.9% abv.

Colour was a rich gold. I'd dropped the temperature down to about 40F over the last couple of days so there was some chill haze, but it was looking pretty clear.

The smell - although the beer was very cold, was quite malty, with a candyish caramelly aroma as well

taste - My first impression, after I'd let it warm in my mouth a little was that it was really sweet. But my second and third taste changed that to, not much bitterness and a lot of malt. I think the key to this style is low, low hopping rates. there is really barely enough bitterness to balance the malt. It was very clean tasting but seemed to get more and more complex with each taste. It really did taste like a French beer.

I don't know if the 100g Flaked rye added anything, I also, on a whim, added 100g of flaked barley as well. I think they probably did add to the complexity.

There was a slight alcohol heat but I think that will fade.

I'm really excited about this one. I think after a month at about 33F and another in a bottle, it should develop into quite a good beer. I'll put a few in corked bottles just to see how they develop, but the others I'll stick in capped bottles.

I'm looking forward to a couple of these at Christmas!!

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 3524
Posted From: 24.57.229.8
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 01:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wish I could stop by for one, Beerboy. I'm very fond of BdG.

Advanced Member

Post Number: 757
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 01:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well Bill, anytime you in the near vicinity of Cheltenham, England, you are more than welcome. I'll make sure I squirrel away a few bottles just in case....

ScottDeW
Intermediate Member
Username: Scott

Post Number: 376
Posted From: 63.174.45.1
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 02:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey, I'll be in Swindon next week.

I'll drink Bill's share. :-)
Scott
http://texanbrew.com

Advanced Member

Post Number: 758
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 03:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Poor old you Scott. Swindon is not the nicest place in the world.

What are you there for? Business?

ScottDeW
Intermediate Member
Username: Scott

Post Number: 377
Posted From: 63.174.45.1
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 04:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah, business. 12th trip in five years, I think.

No, Swindon is not that pretty of a city but it does have its charms.

I'll be there Monday if Rita does not blow my house away (Houston) and the airport is open.
Scott
http://texanbrew.com

Chris Colby
Intermediate Member
Username: Chriscolby

Post Number: 367
Posted From: 70.113.58.97
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 04:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Scott,
Good luck with Rita. Hope you and all the Foam Rangers stay safe. And remember, in a pinch, a Corny keg can be used as a flotation device 8-)

Chris Colby
Bastrop, TX