Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2005 * Archive through November 08, 2005 * Good Simple Pilsner Recipe < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Peter Roman
Advanced Member
Username: Lilbordr

Post Number: 795
Posted From: 129.21.227.142
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 04:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Greetings,
It has been too long since I have posted here. God school sucks your senior year. After not brewing for almost 2 months, I decided that this sat is going to be my brew day. Since I now have a digitally controlled fridge, I have decided that it's time to make a lager. My roomates love heineken and as such I'm going to make a Pilsner using a danish yeast. I was wondering if anyone had a good/simple recipe. I'm getting a 50# sack of pils malt. For hops I have, cascade, northern brewer, target, and kent goldings. I don't know if those are appropriate for the style, but that's what I have in my freezer. Any other advice would be a appreciated.

Thanks,
Peter 'the kid' Roman

Denny Conn
Username: Denny

Post Number: 5175
Posted From: 63.114.138.2
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 05:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pils malt to OG with maybe 1/2 lb. of carapils should do it. None of the hops you have would be my first choice, but the NB would be closest.
LIfe begins at 60...1.060, that is.

Peter Roman
Advanced Member
Username: Lilbordr

Post Number: 796
Posted From: 129.21.227.142
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 05:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Denny,
I plan on making 13 gals via batch sparge. What would an appropriate grain bill/hop schedule be? I have a #50 sack of German Pilsner malt coming, as well as 1# of cara-pils.

Thanks,
Peter 'the kid' Roman

(Message edited by lilbordr on October 27, 2005)

Skotrat
Username: Skotrat

Post Number: 1422
Posted From: 24.61.120.214
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 05:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peter,

Here is my favorite simple Pilsener recipe:

Dingemans DingleBerry Pilsener

I love this beer...

-Scott

Chumley
Username: Chumley

Post Number: 3730
Posted From: 71.37.187.137
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 07:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I like Scott's recipe...but then again, I am a big fan of 1.057, 40 IBU pilsners. :-)

Skotrat

Post Number: 1424
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 07:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yes... It is slightly over the style guidelines...

I got way better extraction than I was planning on that day.

Who knew?

I certainly did not

(Message edited by skotrat on October 27, 2005)

Tim Wi
Intermediate Member
Username: Riverkeeper

Post Number: 273
Posted From: 170.141.68.99
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 08:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've never heard of God School.

T

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 3753
Posted From: 24.57.229.8
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 08:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Perhaps Peter is a "brewing god" to his female roommates. Or he wishes he was one.

(Message edited by BillPierce on October 27, 2005)

Greg Beron
Intermediate Member
Username: Gberon

Post Number: 464
Posted From: 71.107.60.175
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 08:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As I recall, wine is usually the beverage of choice at God school. But it is much easier to turn water into beer.
Greg Beron
Culver City Home Brewing Supply
www.brewsupply.com

Chris Vejnovich
Intermediate Member
Username: Cjv85vmax

Post Number: 281
Posted From: 64.89.60.13
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 08:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peter, get on the horn to Freshops and order us say between 4-6 oz of Sterling. I recently made a Pils with all Sterling/100% Pils/WY 2206. After about 6 weeks in the keg at lagering temps it tastes pretty good. By the way, I used all 6oz of Sterling that I had in the last 10 min of the boil, an idea that I came about through The Brewing Network. Give it a try and see what you think. I also used 100% distilled water and treated it with some CaCl2.

Skotrat

Post Number: 1425
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 08:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I second Sterling...

That is one kickass hop

I made this for RatFest 2005 and it went over quite well...

East Kingston Summer Rye Pale Ale

Not a Pilsener but a big hit with both sexes.

-Scott

Beerboy AKA The Jolly Brewer
Advanced Member
Username: Matfink

Post Number: 810
Posted From: 81.156.22.233
Posted on Friday, October 28, 2005 - 08:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris, are you saying you used only 6oz sterling and inly boiled them for 10 minutes. How bitter was it?

Tim Wi
Intermediate Member
Username: Riverkeeper

Post Number: 278
Posted From: 170.141.68.99
Posted on Friday, October 28, 2005 - 01:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By the way, I used all 6oz of Sterling that I had in the last 10 min of the boil, an idea that I came about through The Brewing Network.

Funny you mention this Chris, I have been gravitating toward increasing my hop additions and adding them later in the boil and at knockout after reading Ray Daniels hop chapters in Designing Great Beers. (I also keep some high alpha bittering hops in pellet form around for an early addition when I want to be more economical).

I started doing this as a substitute for dry hopping. I've tried it on APA's mainly. I've been pleased with the results.

For dry hop substitution, I'll add it at knockout and let it steep for 5 minutes before begining the chill (IC). Much of the hops (pellet, not whole) goes into the fermentor with other trub. (after reading Fix in PoBS on the subject of break, I quit worrying about trub in the fermenter also). Doing it this way is easy, and like I said, results so far have been pleasing. Good hop aroma and good flavor (the flavor seems to me to be more rounded than dry hopping).

anyway, FWIW

Back OT, ... I like a pilsner with 80-90% pils and 10%-20% Munich.

T

Chris Vejnovich
Intermediate Member
Username: Cjv85vmax

Post Number: 286
Posted From: 198.203.245.8
Posted on Friday, October 28, 2005 - 02:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beerboy and Tim,

Yes I only boiled the 6oz of Sterling for the "Last 10 minutes of the boil" I did do a 45 min vigorous boil just to make sure that I got a good hot break. I have not read Fix's POBS, but that is where I got the ideas from second hand via The Brewing Network. Jamil Z. has been a guest on their network twice now and he uses this technique in lagers. The beer has been in the keg now for about 6 weeks and I can definitely say that the bitterness has mellowed. I do like it a lot, but I would say that it is not as sharp as I would expect for a North German Pils which is what I was trying to brew. I F'd the beer up some by doing a NO Oxygenation experiment that I did half ass and so the beer is a little buttery. But the hop pressence is nice and smooth. By the way, Promash calculated that I had 35 IBU's for my 10 min hop addition with 6oz of Sterling(I can't remember the AA%). One thing I did notice about Promash when I did this is how it seemed not to change the IBU amount in the beer based on a 1 minute extraction. It changed the projected IBU's based on a 5 minute block. Example: when I changed the boiling time from 10 minutes to 11 minutes the projected IBU's jumped way up to like 50 and that number did not change again until I reached 16 minutes of boiling. So, this method may not be completely accurate even using Promash. And yes I realize that AA% extraction and exact IBU's can be difficult to project because of all the variables in everyone's system and how they add their hops to the boil.

These hops in my beer were whole leaf and they were added without any type of bag. They left a real mess in the boil kettle I was using (my old 7.5gallon elcheapo stainless steel stock pot). If I do this beer again this way I will buy a bazooka T for my converted keg/kettle so that the hops can just be strained out of the wort while I chill.

Advanced Member

Post Number: 811
Posted on Friday, October 28, 2005 - 02:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Now that you mention it, Coniston Bluebird, made by the Coniston Brewery in The Lake district here in England, is hopped with a tiny amount of bittering hops, hey then add loads of challenger hops at the end of the boil and leave it for an hour. It has a massive hop presence and a good balancing bitterness without being too bitter. Good stuff, won champion beer of britain once.

Chumley
Username: Chumley

Post Number: 3735
Posted From: 71.37.187.137
Posted on Friday, October 28, 2005 - 03:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That Bluebird bitter is one of the few bottled English ales that we get here in Montana that is excellent. That beer, Marston's Pedigree, and the Fuller's line are the only bottled British ales that I have tried that are delicious. Most are mediocre or oxidized, and a few (Monty Python's Holy Grail comes to mind) are downright awful.

Advanced Member

Post Number: 815
Posted on Friday, October 28, 2005 - 03:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chumley, It is pretty similar here. I never buy any bottled english ale that is not bottle conditioned, there is no point as they all taste the same - cooked caramel. They few exceptions are Bitter & twisted, Fullers (all though there is a hint of that) and a couple of other lighter beers like Caledonian Deuchars IPA. I just don't understand these breweries who spend all that time and effort brewing a quality beer, investing large amounts of money in bottling and branding, then pasteurising the hell out of it so it tastes like dung. How come lager can survive the process but ales seems to fare so badly?

Back to Coniston, it is now made and bottled by Brakespear and is nothing like the cask conditioned version, I bought some when I was in Coniston last and was seriously underwhelmed with it, it tasted just like any other mediocre BC brew, there was very little of the pungent hoppy nose and flavour of the original. A big disappointment.

If you can get it, one of the best bottled british beerrs is Youngs Special London Ale. I believe it is truly a world classic.

Sorry Peter, seem to have hi-jacked you thread a bit.

(Message edited by matfink on October 28, 2005)

Skotrat

Post Number: 1426
Posted on Friday, October 28, 2005 - 03:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had the Cask Conditioned Blue Bird a couple years ago while in the UK for work.

Man that was excellent stuff indeed.

I have bought the bottled version here in the states a few times but it just does not come close to the cask version.

Time for another trip I guess.

-Scott

Advanced Member

Post Number: 816
Posted on Friday, October 28, 2005 - 03:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you have it with, or without the sparkler? It is infinitely better without. You get a real smack of hops that way instead of trapping it in all that creamy foam!

Dan Listermann
Username: Listermann

Post Number: 1875
Posted From: 216.23.59.226
Posted on Friday, October 28, 2005 - 03:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The local pub here had cask conditioned Bluebird on an engine. I was not very impressed with it at the time. Probably a freshness issue.

Dan Listermann

--This space is again being left intentionally blank.-

Advanced Member

Post Number: 817
Posted on Friday, October 28, 2005 - 03:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

'spect so Dan. I've mainly had it at source as it were. The other time I had it was in my local the night I got back from Coniston, and it tasted even better! go figure!

Dan Listermann
Username: Listermann

Post Number: 1879
Posted From: 216.23.59.226
Posted on Friday, October 28, 2005 - 06:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another consideration was that The prior brew they had on that engine was Adnum's Tally Ho. I was psyched for that that night.

Dan Listermann

--This space is again being left intentionally blank.-